- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
Ok, you might win bragging rights on that one for now - but just let me get my injector orifices (orificii?) dialed in and we'll play a little...
Only I'm carbureted.

Quote:
In any case, I get asked all the time what kind of efficiency I get and I normally respond with "I flight plan 160 knots true at 8 gph." More than once I've been called a liar straight to my face. I just shrug my shoulders and smile, it's not my job to make believers out of the spam-canners.
I hear you! I love give give them rides and watching their mouths drop wide open!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 02-23-2017, 10:18 AM

I have the little IO-320, not the larger 180hp like some of you but I cruise at 155 kts TAS and lean back to get that. My GPH varies with altitude. Most times my altitude is determined by whether I brought the O2, how far I am going and weather. My TAS does not change with altitude only GPH. I can and do go to 12k or so and regularly see 5.8-5.9gph at that altitude. I can stay around 8.5k and still be around 6.5 GPH and 155 TAS. As Bill says, I love this wing.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 02-23-2017, 10:23 AM

Default Wow

Mark,
This is what i was hoping for in selecting the 9: speed the same up high but lower fuel flow. Thanks for the data. This is great stuff.
Need to find what Catto prop you have!

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for thier use.

Extra dues paid 2017, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings 50%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 02-23-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Greg & Mark,

You two bring up a good point, the -9 doesn't really need the (I)O-360 to be a good performer. It's beauty is in its ability to cruise efficiently, which is exactly what Van hand in mind when he designed it.

The reason for the O-360 in my -9 is that it was only $500 more expensive at the time and 20 lbs heavier.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 02-23-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
Greg & Mark,

You two bring up a good point, the -9 doesn't really need the (I)O-360 to be a good performer. It's beauty is in its ability to cruise efficiently, which is exactly what Van hand in mind when he designed it.

The reason for the O-360 in my -9 is that it was only $500 more expensive at the time and 20 lbs heavier.
Same here. I like to cruise high and wanted the extra climb performance, it was hard to say no to an additional 20 horsepower at the expense of 20 pounds. I knew I was going to have a constant-speed prop anyway so I chose the lighter carbon fiber Whirlwind prop and got some of those pounds back. I traded a lot of dollars for those pounds, but I got 'em back...
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Same here. I like to cruise high and wanted the extra climb performance, it was hard to say no to an additional 20 horsepower at the expense of 20 pounds. I knew I was going to have a constant-speed prop anyway so I chose the lighter carbon fiber Whirlwind prop and got some of those pounds back. I traded a lot of dollars for those pounds, but I got 'em back...
I was so panicked about the weight when I was building. With the O-290, I was at 990 lbs for my first flight. When I upgraded I stayed with the Catto prop to keep the balance where it should be. Now I'm dreaming of a CS prop and if I can talk my wife out of the cash, it will be a composite CS prop, no question about it!
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 02-23-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
I was so panicked about the weight when I was building. With the O-290, I was at 990 lbs for my first flight. When I upgraded I stayed with the Catto prop to keep the balance where it should be. Now I'm dreaming of a CS prop and if I can talk my wife out of the cash, it will be a composite CS prop, no question about it!
You've got a pretty good prop now with those cruise numbers, no doubt. I'm guessing you are sacrificing a little bit on the low end for takeoff and climb, though I know Craig makes a fine prop.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
You've got a pretty good prop now with those cruise numbers, no doubt. I'm guessing you are sacrificing a little bit on the low end for takeoff and climb, though I know Craig makes a fine prop.
You are right, Craig does make a great prop and even though I can see 2000 FPM, when solo, there is nothing like the push you get when taking off in an RV with a CS prop!

I don't do enough formation flying to justify the CS Prop and when I do, I just have to remind lead not to chop the throttle.

The funny thing is what when I'm on someone's wing and they have to land they drop like a rock whereas I just keep gliding and gliding and gliding.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 02-23-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
Mark,
This is what i was hoping for in selecting the 9: speed the same up high but lower fuel flow. Thanks for the data. This is great stuff.
Need to find what Catto prop you have!
John,
I don't recall the exact prop but Craig is one of those guys you trust to make the right recommendation. I went with a three blade and nickel leading edges. Still looks new after 350 hours and some trips with heavy rain. My last trip to Texas through a front took one of the Catto stickers off the blade but the leading edges still look great.
I have the Catto, P-Mags and fuel injection and I have had a few people tell me it is the smoothest plane they have been in. (they weren't referring to my flying skills)
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 02-23-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
John,
I don't recall the exact prop but Craig is one of those guys you trust to make the right recommendation. I went with a three blade and nickel leading edges. Still looks new after 350 hours and some trips with heavy rain. My last trip to Texas through a front took one of the Catto stickers off the blade but the leading edges still look great.
I have the Catto, P-Mags and fuel injection and I have had a few people tell me it is the smoothest plane they have been in. (they weren't referring to my flying skills)
Yeah, John, just call Catto, tell them what airframe and engine, and they will nail the prop selection. Mine's a 70x70 two-blade with the YIO-320-D1A, 160 hp, and it pretty much hits all the Van's book numbers.
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2017
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart