VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-15-2017, 07:03 AM

Default Moony prompted

Don't know about the 10 at the top of the VS. On the 8 we put a RAMI under the fiberglass cap on top of the VS and faced the elements forward, like on an old Moony. Works very good, is up out of the way and looks cool up there. We really don't see that much drag from it and with the NAV/COM, Antenna, and marker beacon being TSO'ed we have the back up of a VOR/ILS that meats the standard if needed. Just what we did, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888
Old 02-15-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Craig View Post
Seems like everybody likes them and they are priced well.
Same with the Archer wingtip Nav Anteena
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2016 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 02-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

I've always used the cat whiskers underneath the tail cone. Am able to pick up VOR's 90 miles away, and there is great signal strength on ILS for either left or right intercepts.
And once last year in the middle of nowhere I was able to pick up my IFR clearance on the VOR frequency with FSS while airborne. Was nice and clear and glad I used the cat whiskers.

I'm sure it's slowed me down 10 knots, though. No wait, that's the 3-bladed prop.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council
Van's East Coast Representative
Mallards Landing, GA (GA04)
Old 02-15-2017, 11:18 AM

In my personal experience, the Archer wingtip antenna seems to work just fine as a VOR antenna and for the most part a Localizer antenna. The issue I experienced was in certain situations when turning on to the localizer, the GS would drop out due to blockage from the wing, which in essence creates a directional antenna. I have one in each wing tip, and both would exhibit this issue. While this antenna seems to be matched well for the vor and localizer frequencies, roughly 110 MHz, the glide slope pairing frequencies are not so well matched. The glide slope frequencies are in the 332 MHz range. I installed a cat wisker on the belly in the rear. It works just fine sharing it as the localizer/glide slope antenna.

I still use one of the Archer antennas with my number two radio.

When installing the archer antenna one has to religiously follow the installation instructions with regard to wire routing and placement. If you want to get good performance.
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC
Old 02-15-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill.Peyton View Post
In my personal experience, the Archer wingtip antenna seems to work just fine as a VOR antenna and for the most part a Localizer antenna. The issue I experienced was in certain situations when turning on to the localizer, the GS would drop out due to blockage from the wing, which in essence creates a directional antenna. .
Might not be "wing blockage". A 3/2 wavelength dipole (which is what the Archer is at GS frequencies, although it is not a simple, straight dipole) has a very strong null (not zero, but many dB down) at about 20 degrees off the nose. I have no idea what the pattern for a real bent, folded Archer looks like.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:30 PM

I have mounted cat whiskers at the top of my vertical stabilizer, under the rudder counter weight overhang, with them facing aft. Wasn't had to do and keeps the antenna elements up out of the way. If you would like a few pictures, send me your email address by private message and I'll send you some.

RV-10 Finishing Kit in-progress
2017 VAF Dues Paid
Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 AM

Default Rami selected

Thanks for the good info. I have elected to use the Rami AV 525....
Old 02-16-2017, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Default +1 for cat whiskers on top of VS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMA View Post
I have mounted cat whiskers at the top of my vertical stabilizer, under the rudder counter weight overhang, with them facing aft. Wasn't had to do and keeps the antenna elements up out of the way. If you would like a few pictures, send me your email address by private message and I'll send you some.
I have Bob Archer and it does not have the range of a cat whisker. If I were building again, I would put the cat whisker on top of the VS. Strasnuts on this forum has that on his RV-10 and it looks great and is completely out of the way from people (at Oshkosh) breaking off your antenna.

Just cut two slots in the top of the VS and it fits perfect up there.

RV-10 N104XP (1150 Hours)
RV-12 N321UT (Sold)

Last edited by ScottSchmidt : 02-16-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:17 PM

Default Whiskers

As Scott said above, I have the cat whiskers on vertical. I also have the bob archer in the wingtip. The whiskers work almost double the distance of the bob archer when I compared them on the same VOR frequency.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:50 PM

I've researched a little but what is the preferred model and where is a good place to purchase the cat whiskers? Thanks

Nick