Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Use the same one...Got it from Stein:

http://www.steinair.com/product/pito...toggle-switch/
Same in my RV-10
Old 02-11-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N427EF View Post
Why are you even contemplating an alternate static source?
In 35 years of flying, I have never heard of anyone having a static line blockage.
Isn't one of the reasons for installing 2 static ports as per plans to build redundancy into the static system?
We don't install 2 pitots where blockage of ice or bugs is much more common
than on static ports.
Like piper and Cessnas, an alternate static port can be tucked away under the seat or behind the panel where it is still accessible from the pilot's seat.
That is a neat looking switch from Stein.

Not sure how you would monitor your static pressure.
Two reasons for alt static that I can think of. It's required (at least in Canada) if you wish to pursue IFR capabilities, and to see/test for a static leak when flying. ie Open the alt static when in cruise and see what happens to altitude and airspeed indications and how much. If nothing changes, you may have been effectively on cabin pressure (leak) all along.

Bevan
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped
Grand Rapids EFIS Sport and EIS
Canada
Old 02-11-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Isn't one of the reasons for installing 2 static ports as per plans to build redundancy into the static system?
Vans maintains RV airplanes were not designed for IFR. The reason for two static ports is to eliminate (or compensate for) static errors caused by sideslip. That's why the ports are tee'd together at the bulkhead.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Why are you even contemplating an alternate static source?
In 35 years of flying, I have never heard of anyone having a static line blockage.
We don't install 2 pitots where blockage of ice or bugs is much more common
than on static ports.

Not sure how you would monitor your static pressure.
Lose the pitot and you lose the ASI (hopefully no other EFIS stuff).
A blocked static and you lose the ASI, VSI, and altimeter. Very unlikely but very serious if you're IFR. And the cost of an alternate valve is equal to a few of gallons of gas, or less. (I've seen one with a screw on cap and O ring).
As soon as you start down (or up) you'll know if the static is blocked, as the airspeed will go crazy.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:53 AM

Same reason for me. The U.K. is similar to Canada in that an alternate static or a heated static port is mandatory for IFR.

Ideally, I want the switch where I can see it, so I no it's not on by mistake. Monitoring the switch position via the EFIS was a way of knowing it was in the wrong position even if I can't see it. Still, I agree that it fails the KISS principle.

I think I'm going to use Stein's valve and mount it on the sub panel that holds the thottle/prop/mixture controls. That way, I can see it and it will not be the only toggle switch in a row of rockers.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:47 AM

SafeAir used to sell a simple plug that fits off a tee in the static line. Fit it in the panel and pull out for alternate static - simples........
ZU-IIZ - "Zeus"
2016 Donation Made
Old 02-12-2017, 09:00 AM

Default Saf-Air valve

Do you mean this one? Looks ideal, thanks.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Vans maintains RV airplanes were not designed for IFR. The reason for two static ports is to eliminate (or compensate for) static errors caused by sideslip. That's why the ports are tee'd together at the bulkhead.
As I stated "one of the reasons" and the other would be what you stated.
Fact is, that this set up up still leaves you with 2 static sources, imperfect if one is plugged up but more accurate than a cabin pressure source I would argue.

My point was that static port failure (plugged) simply does not occur at least not during flight and if it happens, say at the paint shop, you should be able to notice on the first pre flight check after it come out of the paint shop.....

I know many of the rules were established eons ago for good reasons but
better solutions supersede many of these rules.
Most of our GPS equipment shows altitude, ground speed and even vertical speed and many such as my Garmin 696 even display it in an old fashioned
dial configuration. Using such information in case of a "static line/port failure"
would certainly be at least as good or better than cabin alternate static air.

I am not suggesting that you go fight the mighty rulers of mandatory alternate static sources and gascolators, simply stating that such rules are long out dated.
Over 2500 Gallons of E10 mogas burned
Don't believe everything you know.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
My point was that static port failure (plugged) simply does not occur at least not during flight and if it happens, say at the paint shop, you should be able to notice on the first pre flight check after it come out of the paint shop...
It happened in the past and it will happen again; the consequences were catastrophic (airliners as well). It will easily happen to a non heated port. You shall avoid icing conditions with these planes but sometimes s*** happens and it takes time until you get to a safe level or exit icing. It will take some time until you find out your instruments are not reliable -this time will be crucial. Maybe you won't be lucky enough or have enough time to start believing in your gps data. You will get erronous and misleading information which might confuse you enough to overspeed and overstress the airframe. This can be fatal!

I am a fan of the cheap life saving cabin press valve

RV-10 in progress
Build Log