- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2017, 12:05 PM

Default A few questions regarding the forward floor, RV-8

I have a few “front cockpit questions to ask the masses :

1. Rudder pedals : I am curious what others have done regarding whether to powder coat, apply some sticky tape (like wing walk tape) or the truck bed spray or just leave them bare? I currently have untouched pedals and thought about powder coating, but now I am thinking that might make them slick. (not a good thing on rudder pedals) What have you done and what do you like/dislike about your choice?

2. Forward floor : I am curious what others have done with the forward floor – again, I am thinking that the painted floor might be slick – I am thinking about ingress and egress mostly – should I put down the wing walk tape, leave it bare and not worry about it? What have you done and what do you like/dislike about your choice?

3. Delrin slides on flight-adjustable rudder pedals : Do the Delrin slides need anything under them? I believe I heard that one should put down some stainless steel skin or tape as the delrin slides will eventually wear down the paint on the floor and dig into the aluminum floor. I really don’t think I will be moving my pedals fore and aft much, as I am 6’4” and they will be all/most of the way forward. Am I overthinking this one or is this an issue?

Bonus question – It’s time for me to install the static port. By the “looks” of the SafeAir system, it is very secure, robust and generally good quality stuff. But I have only seen pictures and videos. Some research has turned up that at least the older posts seemed to have issues with leaks and erroneous readings. There isn’t a lot of recent talk about the safeair ports and it seems like they may have changed the design of the static port itself, from a more protruding (into the airstream), flat surface to a less protruding, chamfered surface. I like the simplicity and the cost (already paid for) of the Van’s port (a hollowed out blind rivet) so I was wondering about those that use either the safeair or the van’s system - What did you choose and what do you like/dislike about your choice? Have you had leaks and do you/did you have erroneous readings?

Thanks, in advance for your responses!
Fuselage - arrived 3/14/14
Wings - arrived 3/7/13
Builder # 83331
www.mykitlog.com/izzybear
VAF Dues gladly paid up till December 2017

"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish." - Unknown
Old 02-03-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzybear View Post

1. Rudder pedals : I am curious what others have done regarding whether to powder coat, apply some sticky tape (like wing walk tape) or the truck bed spray or just leave them bare?

2. Forward floor : I am curious what others have done with the forward floor – again, I am thinking that the painted floor might be slick – I am thinking about ingress and egress mostly – should I put down the wing walk tape, leave it bare and not worry about it? What have you done and what do you like/dislike about your choice?

3. Delrin slides on flight-adjustable rudder pedals : Do the Delrin slides need anything under them? I believe I heard that one should put down some stainless steel skin or tape as the delrin slides will eventually wear down the paint on the floor and dig into the aluminum floor. I really don’t think I will be moving my pedals fore and aft much, as I am 6’4” and they will be all/most of the way forward. Am I overthinking this one or is this an issue?

Bonus question – It’s time for me to install the static port. By the “looks” of the SafeAir system, it is very secure, robust and generally good quality stuff. But I have only seen pictures and videos. Some research has turned up that at least the older posts seemed to have issues with leaks and erroneous readings. There isn’t a lot of recent talk about the safeair ports and it seems like they may have changed the design of the static port itself, from a more protruding (into the airstream), flat surface to a less protruding, chamfered surface. I like the simplicity and the cost (already paid for) of the Van’s port (a hollowed out blind rivet) so I was wondering about those that use either the safeair or the van’s system - What did you choose and what do you like/dislike about your choice? Have you had leaks and do you/did you have erroneous readings?

Rudder Pedals - I left mine bare, I typcially fly with tennis shoes and have not had any issues with slippage of my feet during operations.

Forward Floor - To he honest, getting in\out of my 8 is not the most graceful act, most of my time getting in\out has my feet on the seat cushion. My floor its painted with flat grey primer. It does show some dirt....but the now dirty seats are probably more of a distraction than the dirty floor. No issues with slipping\traction on mine.

Static port - I used the safe air, in straight, level flight I think I have accurate airspeed but I perceive (no hard data) that anything less than perfectly coordinated flight throws in error. On the -10 I am building I will be using the Van's rivet technique

RV8 Flying
RV10 in construction (Fuselage)
Old 02-03-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzybear View Post

1. Rudder pedals : Mine are bare. They work great. I never see them when I'm flying. They function well.

2. Forward floor : My floor is painted but the paint is wearing off where my feet contact the floor. I get plenty of traction between my shoes and the floor. Sliding in and climbing out is no problem. I mostly use my arm strength to lift myself up. I like the way it is.

3. Delrin slides on flight-adjustable rudder pedals : Am I overthinking this one or is this an issue? No. Its a valid question.

I've been flying mine for a couple years. I'm a buyer not a builder. Really want to build something.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:46 PM

Default No,No,Yes.

We have had no problems with leaving everything bear and just painting the floor. The slides are fine as is, and you will like the Safe Air pitot static plumbing. We have it with a Garmin heated pitot. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888
Old 02-03-2017, 02:15 PM

Rudders bare with heel rests added, if I ever have em out I will bend the heel rests back a bit more...

Floor bare, have not slipped yet but could if wet. Some slip good for large rudder movement...

Delrin slides, mine moved about 3 times & have stayed put. Multiple pilots could cause a bit of wear but don't think it would be an issue.

Static ports, Van's, work fine...

Membership renewed Dec 5, 2016
Old 02-03-2017, 02:20 PM

My rudder pedals are painted and I've flown the airplane with just a painted floor and with a rubber mat/carpet piece installed there. No difference, no slipping nothing. I don't think functionally it matters much one way or another.

As far as the adjustable pedal assembly, I don't think that matters much either. Once you find your position you won't be moving them anyway unless you have multiple people flying the plane.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:37 AM

I left my pedals bare

Assembling rudder pedals by Andy Karmy, on Flickr

I painted the forward floor but after a few hours of flying it became scratched up and the dirt would stick in the scratches. Worked fine but looked bad. So I cleaned it up at about 50 hours and laid down some RCAllen wing walk material. The difference with this stuff is it's not very abrasave more like small bubbles in the plastic / rubber. It's just the right amount of friction to push on to get out but doesn't cause any problems using the rudders. I like it very much. I cut it just inside the UHMW blocks and from the firewall to the spar.

RV-8 - Flying!
RV-9A - sold

Dec 2016 Paid
Old 02-04-2017, 08:54 AM

Forward floor painted (PPG Single Stage paint over PPG DP-40 LF primer - same for all the cockpit). I added a couple of pieces of 3M no slip self adhesive tape where the heals go. I also put the 3M tape in the rear seat passenger foot wells to mitigate wear.

All good after 14 years.

I painted over the rudder assembly powder coat with the same paint(some 200 grit sandpaper first). Rudder peddles also pointed and a few no slip pads added (but on hindsight non-slip here not really needed).

I make my own static ports from 3/4" or so long 3/16" round head rivets. I drill a 1/16" hole through the rivet head. The rivet shank fits well inside a 1/4" poly tube. I add a small 1/4" thick by about 3/4" circular backing plate on the cabin side of the rivet shank for support. Some pro-seal or JB weld to hold it all together (backing plate to fuselage, backing plate to rivet shank, rivet shank to poly tube). I went this way when the store bought static ports yielded a huge altitude error.

Carl
Old 02-04-2017, 10:44 AM

Default Pedals and floor

Rudder pedals: I cleaned up my pedals, rounded all of the edges, and carefully wire brushed them. I then had them anodized black along with the canopy tracks. After 600 hours and 7 years, they have held up very well.

Floor: My forward floor is primed with Sherwin Williams Aerospace epoxy primer and finished with JetFlex. This has also held up well. I do not have any issues with my feet slipping around.

Since I have the ground adjustable rudder pedals, I can't answer your third question.

Skylor
RV-8

Last edited by skylor : 02-04-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:43 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your input - it gives me much to think about. I sure appreciate having a wealth of experience this close by. Thanks again.
Fuselage - arrived 3/14/14
Wings - arrived 3/7/13
Builder # 83331
www.mykitlog.com/izzybear
VAF Dues gladly paid up till December 2017

"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish." - Unknown