- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2017, 11:21 AM

Default aaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Your RV-9 doesn't have wings that remove in 2 minutes...... The RV-12 does.
The templates are for installing a passive interconnect for the AOA sense line.
Thanks Scott! I can ignore the last half of the instructions then! ( I'm very good at that!)
kudos to you guys, for coming up with a nice 'package' solution for those not keen to do the 'sperimentin'!

( now if I could just get those wings off, I could bring my plane home in February, and get this stuff installed!!!!!! I think I see another mod coming!.....hinged folding wing attach for the -9!!! )

....paid up Nov. 2016-17
Old 02-02-2017, 12:04 PM

Thanks Rob. Not a bad price, either. Will buy two for our two projects and save all that shipping...

Bob
President, AviationNation, Inc
RV-9A N908BL, Flying
Old 02-02-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1963 View Post
Thanks Scott! I can ignore the last half of the instructions then! ( I'm very good at that!)
kudos to you guys, for coming up with a nice 'package' solution for those not keen to do the 'sperimentin'!

( now if I could just get those wings off, I could bring my plane home in February, and get this stuff installed!!!!!! I think I see another mod coming!.....hinged folding wing attach for the -9!!! )
I can't guaranty that the rivet position prescribed in the kit will work for an RV-9 (but it should be pretty close)
The RV-12 uses the 23000 series airfoil like most of the 2 seat RV's but the RV-9 is different.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 02-02-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I can't guaranty that the rivet position prescribed in the kit will work for an RV-9 (but it should be pretty close)
The RV-12 uses the 23000 series airfoil like most of the 2 seat RV's but the RV-9 is different.
If you look back and find Joe's original post on the RV-12 AOA, he shows how he determined the location of the port. 30 degrees from horizontal, if I recall correctly. I'm not an aeronautical engineer, fluid dynamics guy or a physicist (or much of a pilot for that matter), but I don't think the precise angle is super critical... that's why there is an AOA calibration routine.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 02-02-2017, 04:09 PM

Default Great addition!

This is appreciated by me, a low time pilot. I appreciate this addition - I was going to add an AOA set up to my twelve after certification - now, I can put into the build - this kit just keeps getting better and better.

Thanks to Van's engineers and staff.

Last edited by E. D. Eliot : 02-02-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
If you look back and find Joe's original post on the RV-12 AOA, he shows how he determined the location of the port. 30 degrees from horizontal, if I recall correctly. I'm not an aeronautical engineer, fluid dynamics guy or a physicist (or much of a pilot for that matter), but I don't think the precise angle is super critical... that's why there is an AOA calibration routine.
Ok!

We ended up doing a bit of experimenting to come up with the location specified in the kit to get the result we wanted.
I guess Joe is smarter than us.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 02-02-2017, 08:51 PM

Actually all that I did was to look at Dynon's pitot-AOA probe and estimate that the surface containing the AOA port is about 30 degrees from horizontal. So that is where I drilled the hole in the wing. I suppose that Dynon could say, "Hey, Joe used our idea."
Old 02-02-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich48041 View Post
Actually all that I did was to look at Dynon's pitot-AOA probe and estimate that the surface containing the AOA port is about 30 degrees from horizontal. So that is where I drilled the hole in the wing. I suppose that Dynon could say, "Hey, Joe used our idea."
Yea, that's what we did also and we found that it wasn't quite ideal.
The airflow and surrounding pressure around the pitot tube is apparently not the same as it is down at the surface of a large wing panel.
We found that the stagnation point at high angles of attack was getting close enough to the AOA port that it began to have influence on accuracy.

I think our final position is more like 20 degrees.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 02-02-2017, 10:47 PM

Thanks to Van's and staff for doing this.
Is there any known effect of water if fly through rain on AoA displayed accuracy or reliability?
Old 02-03-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
The airflow and surrounding pressure around the pitot tube is apparently not the same as it is down at the surface of a large wing panel. We found that the stagnation point at high angles of attack was getting close enough to the AOA port that it began to have influence on accuracy.
Is this the reason you canít use a combination pitot tube/AOA probe similar to the Dynon combo unit, but have it pass through the spinner like the regular RV-12 pitot tube?

VAF donation made for 2017