VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-07-2016, 11:25 AM

I bought two engines from them. Their support was great each time. Even today with flying engines they support me any time, sending parts and infos.

RV-8, IO-375, P-Mags, 74RV Prop, flight testing
Old 03-15-2017, 06:25 PM

I ordered the engine from Aero Sport and they included the build school as part of the deal. I just finished assembling and testing the engine and it was a great experience. Everyone at Aero Sport goes out of their way to make you feel welcome.

I ended up ordering the IO-382 with the dual EFII system. It runs great: starts up very easily even when hot and idles very smoothly.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on Aero Sport, they were great to work with.

Last edited by efitzgerald : 03-15-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:04 AM

Default Sure.

The engines are good. Just a comment and it is your call. You may wish to check with Van's as I think that airframe is rated for up to 200 Hp. on the recommendation from them. I know everybody does it. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888
Old 03-16-2017, 02:49 PM

Default BPE

Barrett Performance is a stateside option. Rhonda is the best.

IHN,

2017 Dues Paid

Robby Knox

"If it is to be, it is up to me" Thomas Smith
Old 03-18-2017, 09:55 AM

The IO-382 is a parallel valve Lycoming clone that is rated at 200 HP. The point of the IO-382 is the same or better HP at less weight than the angle valve IO-360.

My engine is ported and polished and has an EFII system so the HP might be a bit higher but probably not by much.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efitzgerald View Post
The IO-382 is a parallel valve Lycoming clone that is rated at 200 HP. The point of the IO-382 is the same or better HP at less weight than the angle valve IO-360.

My engine is ported and polished and has an EFII system so the HP might be a bit higher but probably not by much.

I am looking at the IO-382 for my RV-7 a few years down the road. IS the 200 HP the "standard build" IO-382? I know they offer tons of other options as well. I was thinking of doing P-Mags, and doing the port and polishing. My rough numbers would put that around the 215 HP mark.

Do you have info you can share on some of the "upgrades" they offer to these Wildcats?
Wing Kit Started - June 2017
My Build Log: http://www.theskunkwerx.com

VAF Donation paid for 2017
Old 03-18-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
This engine has horizontal induction. One of the reasons that I have been researching the engine is that I would like to order the finishing kit so it can ship with the QB kit. I spoke with Aero Sport about the engine dimensions and they said that this engine is .1" wider than a comparable IO-360.

Eric
Be careful.. That 0.1" extra width could make a big difference. For my angle-valve IO-360, cylinder #2 comes VERY close to the cowl, a wee bit under a half inch, if you include the space taken by the piano hinge that joins the cowl halves. Loosing another 0.1" on that side would be a problem. Presumably yours is 0.05" wider on each side, so may be close, but OK.

My worry about buying now when you are just starting your build is (a) warranty, and (b) proper pickling and wrapping for long-term storage. Leaving a Lycoming sitting around is the worst thing you can do to it. Mine sat for a year, wrapped in plastic, in a very dry climate, and I've had zero problems. But I would not have wanted to leave it much longer.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 460 in 8 years
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
Old 03-18-2017, 07:02 PM

My biggest concern with purchasing now was the warranty. As far as long term storage, I am hoping it won't be that long. In addition it will be stored in a climate controlled space. I have a mill and lathe that can sit unoiled for months with no rust problems.

As far as performance mods I'm not sure what else they offer that would increase HP. I had mine ported and polished, 9.1 to 1 pistons, added an EFII system and a raven full inverted oil system. It comes standard with a counter balanced crank, roller lifters, piston oilers and the superior cold air induction. Could it produce 215, maybe. I am always skeptical when I hear inflated numbers from having a port and polish and even the EFII system. Superior does say the engine produces 200 plus HP, but without putting it on a dyno you never know for sure.

Last edited by efitzgerald : 03-19-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
My biggest concern with purchasing now was the warranty. As far as long term storage, I am hoping it won't be that long. In addition it will be stored in a client controlled space. I have a mill and lathe that can sit unoiled for months with no rust problems.

As far as performance mods I'm not sure what else they offer that would increase HP. I had mine ported and polished, 9.1 to 1 pistons, added an EFII system and a raven full inverted oil system. It comes standard with a counter balanced crank, roller lifters, piston oilers and the superior cold air induction. Could it produce 215, maybe. I am always skeptical when I hear inflated numbers from having a port and polish and even the EFII system. Superior does say the engine produces 200 plus HP, but without putting it on a dyno you never know for sure.
Hmm... For some reason I thought they dyno'd all their engines before they sent them out.
Wing Kit Started - June 2017
My Build Log: http://www.theskunkwerx.com

VAF Donation paid for 2017
Old 03-19-2017, 02:16 AM

I bought my IO540 from them and it runs sweetly. Also had good support when I needed it to time my mags.

Have you considered their IO375? 190-195hp and I'm guessing it is considerably cheaper.
ZU-IIZ - "Zeus"
2017 Donation Made