Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-06-2016, 11:09 AM

Default AeroSport Power IO-382

Hello,

I currently have a quick build RV-7 on order. I have been looking at engine options while waiting for the kit to arrive.

I have been in touch with Aero Sport and am strongly considering a IO-382-M1S Wildcat engine. The engine would be equipped with a EFII ignition and fuel injection system with dual ecu's.

What are your thoughts on this engine and Aero Sport in general.

Aero Sport is a Canadian company and I am also concerned with duties that would be charged upon importing the engine. Does anyone know what additional costs I would be looking at other than shipping?
Old 12-06-2016, 11:36 AM

There should be no duties and aviation parts.
As a US citizen you should not be charged our HST (valued added tax)
There may be some brokerage fees at the border, or from your broker, depending on how the engine is shipped.

As always these items are how I understand the system to work but we have a very long border and even though these are national type of issues for both countries there does seem to be regional differences.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger under construction #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 12-06-2016, 02:57 PM

Aerosport has been around a long time, has sold literally hundreds of engines into the homebuilt market, mostly into the US market. They are good people to deal with.
I personally had excellent experiences with them purchasing engines, parts & getting technical support. They even helped me out one time when stranded a long way from home with a bad carb (not their product).
Old 12-06-2016, 03:05 PM

This has nothing to do with AeroSport, but you should consider a couple of things before ordering: 1-integration of the engine with the airframe and cowl-ie, are you going to have to do a lot of custom work to make it all fit? 2-if you are just now ordering a QB, you might want to hold off on the engine for a little while, unless you're retired and can spend a lot of time working on the project. Otherwise, you might see that engine (and the money invested) sitting off to the side for some time...just a couple thoughts, YMMV etc etc
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Sensenich GA Prop
First Flight November 20, 2016
Phase One Complete June 1, 2017
http://www.marksrv8.com
2017 Donation Complete!
Old 12-06-2016, 05:51 PM

I think I will purchase another engine from Aerosport. Nuff said bout that.

When you go dual EFII, etc. you venture from the standard plans which might require some customization, definitely doable, but you will need to fill in the blanks. If you were to stick with a standard 0-360 and Vans Firewall Foreward kit, all the instructions are there, the more your deviate, well.... With the EFII system you will need to run fuel return lines to the tanks, with the appropriate fuel selector valve, but so does some other EFI systems (not all though).

Does this 382-M1S have horizontal induction, like the IO-360-M1B? That will dictate which cowl you will need (snorkel bottom or not) and which filtered intake. I'd bet the standard baffle kit would work. Not sure which fuel pump you will need or where it mounts.

Bottom line, im sure that is a great engine but you should see which engine it compares to firewall forward kit wise so you kit the right parts to put it all together, might be some off plan work to do but if you make it past the cowling and canopy this will be easy.

As for buying now, if you got the cash, why not. These engine costs escalate quite rapidly and there's noe better way than to have all the parts on hand.
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK (now N9396S)
G3X, Superior XO-320, Dual Pmags, Whirlwind GA
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - Sold
1956 C-182 - Sold
Old 12-06-2016, 06:34 PM

This engine has horizontal induction. One of the reasons that I have been researching the engine is that I would like to order the finishing kit so it can ship with the QB kit. I spoke with Aero Sport about the engine dimensions and they said that this engine is .1" wider than a comparable IO-360.

I wasn't planning on ordering the firewall forward kit from vans regardless of the engine choice. I would rather choose the specific items that I want.

I know about the requirement for the fuel return lines and different fuel selector valve. The additional electronics and plumbing aren't much of a concern to me, if anything that is the fun part of building. Deburring, priming and driving 1000's of rivets are the tedious part.

My main questions were about unforeseen costs of buying out of Canada and general information about Aero Sport.

My biggest concern with purchasing the engine sooner than later is the warranty. ASP offers a 42 month 500 hour warranty after it is delivered.

Eric
Old 12-06-2016, 11:50 PM

I bought my engine IO375 from aero sport, in 2011 and I went and got it in my pickup they asked if it was a lycoming. That being what it was thay said all the parts came from the US and only assembled in Canada so no taxe or duty due, but them 2 apples and orange were a threat to national security were confiscated while trashing the inside of my pickup took 30 minutes to put back together at the US border. My sin was admitting that I was a retired Farmer. Aero sport was great to work with.

Last edited by richlynn : 12-06-2016 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Company review
Old 12-07-2016, 06:56 AM

Default Bart

We purchased a RV-6 with an Aero Sport overhauled engine in it. Plane finished in 1998.
We were the 3rd owner of the airplane. Had flown it for several years and put 400+ hours on it, (600TT). Went to install a C/S prop to upgrade from FP and found a issue with the nose clamshell bearing being out of place a tiny bit, keeping it from building pressure.
Needless to say it was a bear finding the issue and then fixing it.
Bart always answered the phone and tried to help. Even sent parts, no charge!
Way past any warranty and we were the 3rd owner too...
Can't say enough good about Aero Sport.
I do understand Bart is no long there, but would assume they will carry on, so to speak.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 12-07-2016, 08:22 AM

No worries with Aerosport Power ... they're great people to work with. The shipping of my engine was a couple days delayed at the US border, but that is apparently normal. Shipping costs were exactly what Aerosport said they would be. They also kept me up-to-date on shipping and transit status. I'd buy from them again in a heartbeat.
(Dues paid thru Nov '17)
Old 12-07-2016, 08:44 AM

My engine is also from Aerosport Power.

After I had been flying for about 100 hours they contact me about a possible issue with a part on my engine being installed wrong.

They send me detailed instructions on how to check if the part had been installed incorrectly, and even offered to pay for two hours of a mechanics time to check and make sure everything was good (it was).

Good company to work with. They helped me out with the entire wire a really large chunk of money to another country thing.

-Dan