- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Hot exhaust pipes stuffed into it

Is there any heat shield or insulation to keep the heat out of the cabin?
Mike,
The design of the exit tunnel on the RV-14 has a double wall with the stainless steel outer surface and an aluminum interior one, with an approx. .75 inch insulating air gap in between the two.

So far heat transfer hasn't been a problem.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-02-2016, 08:38 AM

Default Exhaust for XP400

I spoke with Clint at Vetterman this morning and confirmed that the Vans RV-14 exhaust will not fit the XP400 engine. Vetterman's design for the XP400 uses 2" pipes in a dual outlet pipe configuration and as a result, the pipes will not fit in the exhaust tunnel, requiring some cowl mods (minor) and a pipe exit similar to the RV-7, forward of the tunnel.

This (along with the price difference) might have swayed me back from Superior to Lycoming, but I'm committed now - oh well.

RV-14A Builder - kit #136
N314KC - First flight Mar 8, 2017
RV-6A (purchased June 2014)
Sport Pilot (weight-shift control) - Airborne XT912
Dues paid 12/2016
Old 06-02-2016, 09:39 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Mike,
The design of the exit tunnel on the RV-14 has a double wall with the stainless steel outer surface and an aluminum interior one, with an approx. .75 inch insulating air gap in between the two.

So far heat transfer hasn't been a problem.
Thanks Scott.
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 06-02-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
I spoke with Clint at Vetterman this morning and confirmed that the Vans RV-14 exhaust will not fit the XP400 engine. Vetterman's design for the XP400 uses 2" pipes in a dual outlet pipe configuration and as a result, the pipes will not fit in the exhaust tunnel, requiring some cowl mods (minor) and a pipe exit similar to the RV-7, forward of the tunnel.

This (along with the price difference) might have swayed me back from Superior to Lycoming, but I'm committed now - oh well.
Since Vetterman is already making an IO-390 exhaust that fits into the tunnel (albeit marginally according to Tim Olson's pictures), can't they do the same for the XP-400? I would think the 400 exhaust could be very similar with minor adjustments (fraction of an inch) for exhaust port locations.
RV-8A N2D #80583 flying with G3X Touch / GTN650
RV-14A #140017 wings
Old 06-21-2016, 09:51 AM

Default Working well...

Regarding the exhaust, I'm pretty pleased so far. Scott may be right in that I may occasionally hit the side of the tunnel with the pipes during startup as the engine chugs to life. I find the IO-390 really tends to start on the rich side and misfire a bit until you get it leaned well enough. So I do think I've heard it hit at least a couple times out of maybe a couple dozen engine starts I've had so far. But, it isn't swinging around and hitting all the time, either.

Once the engine is running though, I'm finding it to work very well. The power and responsiveness are great, and the sound is really cool as well. It doesn't seem excessively loud. The heater I should probably test but it's been too hot here. I did have one heat valve that wasn't fully shutting, and the floor and carpet were getting really really hot on the copilot side. But after tweaking the valve cable a little it seems better now. I'm hoping this translates into a comfortable cabin when it's zero degrees out this winter.

Anyway, so far I haven't found any squawks with the Vetterman exhaust. My biggest concern was how close my throttle cable came to the pipe, but after firesleeve and heatshield on the throttle cable since day 1, I haven't noticed it having any negative effect at all. I'll be watching that closely for a long time to see if the situation changes.

Just thought I'd close the loop on the clearance question. The 2 pipes themselves I moved so they were about 1/8" apart, and whenever I'm underneath they still seem to be in the same spot.

Also, as much as I still think the tunnel is kind of ugly from the bottom, I left it unpainted and it isn't bothering me now. Some day I should cut off the 2 ears that are used for exhaust hangers, as I'm not using them. The stainless tunnel, if it maintains it's color, will just be another silver stripe on the plane I guess, from below. The double walled tunnel actually has worked out very well at keeping the tunnel cool. That was good planning on Van's part. In my RV-10 I had to add tunnel insulation because the heater ports heat the tunnel so hot.

Last edited by TimO : 06-21-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:14 AM

Any updates on the Vetterman exhaust? How much of a price difference is it from the standard kit pipes? Any more pireps on the pipes hitting the sidewalls?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2017, 02:43 PM

I did have the pipes hit the sidewall originally, with the dual pipes. Then I got from Vetterman a saddle clamp...it's like a split figure 8 device that goes around both pipes and keeps them in line with eachother and about 1/8" apart. The issue before was that the pipes were free to swing a lot on their flexible mount. With them secured to eachother it's been good now. I'm at 97.7 hours and loving the system.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:06 AM

Does that saddle clamp attach to the exhaust hangers included with the fuselage kit or just clamp the two pipes together? I guess I'm wondering if I decide to buy the vetterman pipes if I should attach those two hangers.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:02 AM

No, it just attaches to the pipes. My pipes don't go back anywhere near that far to those hangers so on my plane they're useless. If you think that some day there's any chance you'd use the factory exhaust, maybe install them, but I don't see any reason for them and wish I hadn't now.

One thing to keep in mind too...

My Vetterman exhaust went up and over the crossbar on the nose gear, and into the tunnel. I know that other people after me got systems that have the pipes exit the cowl down before that crossbar. This would be a simpler installation. I think they cut some cutouts in the cowl and glassed in some aft facing bumps or something, but I haven't seen pictures myself.
Anyway, I'm not sure if they make both versions now, or switched that that simplified version. It would definitely be easier for them to not have to route up and into the tunnel...but I do like how mine is working now. Mine hangs nicely off the 2 back corners of the sump.
I think either will be better than trying to stuff 4 pipes into a single one that isn't quite large enough, performance wise.

It would be nice to hear more comments from others who have his system. I've had a few offline emails over the past half year or so but haven't seen many people post.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimO View Post
I think either will be better than trying to stuff 4 pipes into a single one that isn't quite large enough, performance wise.
Does that mean you have proven with flight comparisons to other RV-14's, that with the Vetterman system you have more HP (and more speed)?

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")