I'm getting a bit behind with my online time these days. When pushing thru to the end of the build, I try to stay focused and get too sidetracked. But for a while now I've had the RV14A version of the Vetterman exhaust installed, and recently I finished the cabin heat system, so it's time to post some pictures!
I should warn you, there are many many things in the photos that aren't complete. You'll see many loose nuts, and no hoses have been tightend yet. At the time of the photos the engine monitor was in process of being installed, but today that is all complete. So look at the photos for what they are...just pictures of the exhaust system. I'll post more complete pictures on my website in a few days, as I'm just about wrapped up with everything FWF, and am about to close off the cover forward of the panel and prep the plane for paint.
For those of you wondering "Why" regarding a different exhaust system for the -14, it's simple...the stock system is a 4-into-1 system and with a big IO-390, it will probably suffer some restriction due to not enough exhaust flow. The Vetterman system is a nice dual 2-into-1 system with 2 tail pipes, that is tuned and should give the engine better breathing. It also includes turned down pipes, to help keep the belly from being heated up. While I haven't flown with it yet, I expect the exhaust should do really well. I'm more concerned that the cowl exit area may be too tight and we may have to open that up a bit. Time will tell on that.
The exhaust system does provide dual heat muffs in hopes of keeping a nice warm cabin. While they aren't in place in these photos, I did use the same heat shields as Van's uses, in the area of the fuel flow sender and fuel lines. additionally there will be a heat shield on the pipe below the throttle cable.
My heat shielding will be shown in some photos regarding the throttle quadrant that I should have available by late this week.
The exhaust hangs off the back of the sump, and the tail pipes go up and over the nosewheel hinge point, and into the tunnel. If later it is found the cowl would need more exit area, it would not be too hard to route the pipes under the nose wheel hinge point, and keep that tunnel completely open.
The overall design kind of looks like modern art, to me.
Now on to the pictures. I'll break them down into multiple posts.