Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-18-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave12 View Post
Hey Vlad, check out Smith Mountain Lake A/P near Roanoke, Va. . Mo, the owner, has kicked new life into the airport. Very nice place, he has rentals on the field, courtesy car, cheap fuel, etc. Very nice Bed and Breakfast right on the field, Bedford Landings and the owner is building a RV10. He also has a beautiful Pietenpol and a sweet C-170. BTW, Mo is a local guy, he lives on or near Sky Manor during the week.
Been there a month or so ago Dave. Didn't have a chance to meet legendary Mr Bazaan but talked to Brent the CFI and saw his amphibian. He gives instruction for SES rating for a very reasonable price.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.

Last edited by Vlad : 02-18-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy AC View Post
That's where I got my Certified Tower Operator Qualification as an air traffic controller. There seems to be a whole lot more aircraft there then I remember... but by the look of the tan clamshell tents in the background they are doing an exercise. The reason we tell you where it is/ progressive taxi you as close to it as possible is because we had a few pilots just start wondering around. Its not a secure field, but keeping people corralled was an issue in the past.

Have you gotten a chance to fly to the Military Aviation Museum in Pungo, VA? (it's a private airport, but have seen parties fly in) It's an amazing collection of WWI and WWII aircraft!

3640′41.54″N 7601′58.75″W
militaryaviationmuseum.org
Hi Jason your comrades at the tower were very accommodating. And you are right there was a battalion in the tents. Speaking of the Pungo I have a bad taste of that field. Was asked to leave immediately two elderly docents didn't even wanted to hear about who invited me. The year was 2012

Old 02-18-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hagerty View Post
...To let me know when you're coming to "fly the hill" at W24 Vlad.
Chuck I "practiced" flying the hill. I hope my landing won't be embarrassing when I come again for the stamp and book signing. Where is the stamp located btw?

Old 02-18-2016, 07:17 PM

It looks like it's a lot different on the east coast, with small states all over the place. Here in Oregon, I don't see this happening (unless I missed something). One site lists at least 422 airports here in our State. With Washington to the north, probably similar. And California to the south... don't even get started! You may not get to all of them in a lifetime.

http://www.airport-data.com/usa-airp...te/Oregon.html
Dues Proudly Paid for 2016
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
Old 09-28-2016, 05:12 PM

Default Grundy KGDY

Ever been to Grundy? Several accomplished Ambassadors with high performance airplanes confessed they didn't fly in. They drove to get The Stamp.
I decided to fly and it was a lot of fun on a calm day. Could be tricky to get in when windy.

The airport is on top of a 2,300' hill. Runway is in decent shape over two thousand feet long with no overruns.

View from threshold of runway 04.

That's the approach end of runway 22.

Good experience overall. It looks just like Catalina Island in California only one thousand feet shorter and no restaurant. Go explore and get a stamp!

Last edited by Vlad : 09-28-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:17 AM

Default Tappahannock Fly In

Every year Virginia Aviation Department chooses a different airport for a Fly in where they honor aviation ambassadors who reached first level of accomplishment. Year 2016 was Tappahannock KXSA. Here I met Don Alexander and learned that cousin already passed two levels and was awarded a cap and a flying bag. We unanimously agreed to finish the program in 2017 and get our patched flight jackets. The leather jackets are free and of a good quality my old one already has a broken zipper and torn pockets. Here is a brief slide show of the event.

I am glad my RV could serve as a supporting platform for a cameraman.

More arrivals.

The honoring ceremony and speeches.

The jacket #431.

There was a car show, biplane rides and live music. Looking forward to 2017.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:09 AM

Default Same here

Hey Vlav.....Kathryn ans I decided to do the Ambassador Program also. We have a couple stamps now and will continue. Problem is that I fly at times she is un available so I don't get stamo without her.

BTW.....where is the stamp located at Grundy?
RV-8 QB Reserved N212KB
ATP
CFI/CFII/MEI

Build Site: http://www.mykitlog.com/skykingbob/

"Nothing worthwhile has ever been accomplished without inspiration, determination, and perspiration!"
Old 10-01-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skykingbob View Post
Hey Vlav.....Kathryn ans I decided to do the Ambassador Program also. We have a couple stamps now and will continue. Problem is that I fly at times she is un available so I don't get stamo without her.

BTW.....where is the stamp located at Grundy?
Bobsky glad to hear that! I wish I had the passport with me when driving your truck to Reagan. Stamp at Grundy is located in unlocked little den at a corner hangar. Closer to parking see the red dot. BTW do you have any info when next Safety Seminar in VA would be?

Old 10-02-2016, 04:20 AM

Default Douglas C-54 Skymaster at Lonesome Pine

Look who I caught visiting Lonesome Pine airport on Sept 24th, 2016. Douglas C-54 Skymaster! The temptation was high to position my little RV under the big wing for a perfect shot but there was nobody around to check the clearance.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:39 AM

Default Thanks Vlad

Hey my Russki brother....thank you for the intell....will go on recon and secure the info . (Sorry for the late reply....been on the road)
RV-8 QB Reserved N212KB
ATP
CFI/CFII/MEI

Build Site: http://www.mykitlog.com/skykingbob/

"Nothing worthwhile has ever been accomplished without inspiration, determination, and perspiration!"