VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-17-2016, 05:51 PM

Default Virginia Aviation Ambassadors Program

Couple three years ago an RV builder and flyer Don Alexander sent me a booklet and a passport. I forgot about it till recently. I was looking for a place to fly and it struck me I've already got a destination. So I dug the old paperwork out and learned that Virginia Department of Aviation has a great program. The program is designed to encourage pilots to fly to all of the airports in Virginia as well as visit aviation museums and attend safety seminars. 66 airports to visit? I am in

De Diligence on a cold morning of Feb 13, 2016.

Blackstone Army Airfield couple hours later. KBKT.

Tower was manned on the weekend. I was progressively instructed where to go and what to do. No wonder pilots get lazy these days no grey matter required.
The Ambassador Stamp is located in a mailbox right below the tower.

You get a bit of a view. Your tax dollars at work.

Thanks for your service guys!

One airport down 65 to go. Thank you Don! Better late then never.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:11 PM

That's a great program. I learned about it 2 Decembers ago while I was at a toy drop near Richmond. My family lives in South Carolina, so I've been working on SC, NC, VA, and MD. Lot's of fun when you are checking out of an airport at the FBO and a plane comes in with people looking for the stamp!

You would be the right guy to establish a program in NJ. I think on the NC site they had information and suggestions to start a program in your own state Vlad!!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:23 PM

Default Ambassador programs

South Carolina has had a program for about five years, become a member and get all of the state's airport stamps, plus attend a State Aviation Association Conference or Expo or Aviation Safety Program thingy and you receive a very nice leather flight jacket. I've heard that NC also has a program but I can't find any information about one.
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195
Empennage 10/11/14 - 6/15/15
SB Wing 7/22/15 - 8/12/16
Rcvd QB Fuse and Finish kits 10/10/16
QB Fuse substantial completion 12/7/16
Finish Kit started 1/11/17
Engine / Prop ordered April 2017
Dues paid 11/11/16 (USA 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47
Old 02-17-2016, 07:13 PM

I have about 85 airport stamps, 4 museum stamps, and 3 FAST program stamps in my FlyNC booklet. Not many more to go.

Virginia DOT has a great website and links to the NC, SC, and MD websites for their programs. I think I have a dozen or so stamps for Virginia's Ambasidor program. Each website has a listing for where the stamps can be found (some airport stamps are not easily found without this info). I think in every case, each participating airport is a public use airport.

The MD program takes a sign up through their web site and it took about 3 months to receive their stamp booklet. The SC booklet arrived within about 2 weeks of signing up.

NC used to have booklets available at each of the participating airports, but it does not appear that they still do. You may need to contact the NCDOT for the State booklet.

I use the booklets and programs as a reason to just fly someplace different. I have told a number of flight instructors about the program and encouraged them to let their students know about the program. It gives them another reason to visit "other" airfields.

Lastly, you do not have to fly in to an airport to get a stamp. You can drive in. Each state just wants you to come visit and see what they have to offer.
flying
Old 02-17-2016, 10:15 PM

Default Nice

That's a really nice picture of your plane Vlad

Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/
Old 02-18-2016, 06:14 AM

Hey Vlad, check out Smith Mountain Lake A/P near Roanoke, Va. . Mo, the owner, has kicked new life into the airport. Very nice place, he has rentals on the field, courtesy car, cheap fuel, etc. Very nice Bed and Breakfast right on the field, Bedford Landings and the owner is building a RV10. He also has a beautiful Pietenpol and a sweet C-170. BTW, Mo is a local guy, he lives on or near Sky Manor during the week.
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Old 02-18-2016, 06:58 AM

NY had something similar for their aviation museums. Most could not be flown to, but it was fun trying to get the stamps. I think it was called the Aviation Trail ?

I also remember something like this in NJ a long time ago. I may still have the stamp booklet, but if I recall correctly you had to complete it in a short time frame.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:00 PM

Default Certified Tower Operator

That's where I got my Certified Tower Operator Qualification as an air traffic controller. There seems to be a whole lot more aircraft there then I remember... but by the look of the tan clamshell tents in the background they are doing an exercise. The reason we tell you where it is/ progressive taxi you as close to it as possible is because we had a few pilots just start wondering around. Its not a secure field, but keeping people corralled was an issue in the past.

Have you gotten a chance to fly to the Military Aviation Museum in Pungo, VA? (it's a private airport, but have seen parties fly in) It's an amazing collection of WWI and WWII aircraft!

3640′41.54″N 7601′58.75″W
militaryaviationmuseum.org

Dreaming/Planning/Scheming
Studying -8 plans
Old 02-18-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy AC View Post

Have you gotten a chance to fly to the Military Aviation Museum in Pungo, VA? (it's a private airport, but have seen parties fly in) It's an amazing collection of WWI and WWII aircraft!
Best collection (flying) that I've seen. I drove though.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:53 PM

Default Don't forget...

...To let me know when you're coming to "fly the hill" at W24 Vlad.

First flight 1-29-13
Phase I complete 5-25-13

INVERTED: Looking Back on Walking Away