- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2016, 10:58 AM

I have had one break on the right side.
Eagles Nest Mentor
Old 05-16-2016, 08:33 PM

Default Throttle spring break

Per Scott's note on this thread, I'll be putting in a report to Van's on this but thought I'd mention it here.

Installed Vernier Assist Throttle Control 3/2015 obtained from Van's with the new springs provided. At 107 hours, the right spring failed (noticed it after flying for several hours just before last flight of the day during a quick peak in oil door). Don't specifically remember looking at it at beginning of the day but I generally take a good look through door before the first flight of the day and obviously didn't notice anything. Throttle moves back and forth just fine without it so I wasn't even noticing an issue flying. If it had failed on left side, I might not have detected it until next oil change. Left side spring looks fine BTW.

Appears to be a relatively clean break just at the bottom of the coils. I'll hang onto it in case Van's wants to inspect it themselves.

RV-12, N913BC
Hobbs over 300 hours and counting...
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45
Old 05-29-2016, 08:11 PM

Default Make that two

Found my right hand one broken over the weekend. Identical to the photo posted by Brent - snapped in exactly the same location. About 60 hours in service. Discovered recently that the prop had been installed without careful attention to equalising pitch. There was almost 1 difference! Now fixed but that may have been a contributing factor. Carbs have been well balanced from beginning (115 hours TT). Seems that more breakages are occurring on the right-hand side. If so, there has to be an explanation, but hard to imagine what it could be.

Like others I found that the aircraft still performed satisfactorily broken spring. Quite smooth at idle and above 5000 but noticeably rougher in the mid-rev range.

Jack
Old 05-29-2016, 09:17 PM

I called and talked to McFarlane. They told me it is usually the passenger side spring that breaks or falls off. They also said it could be due to propeller or engine vibration.

We had our propeller balanced, and have not had a broken spring in quite awhile. We also safety wired the bottom of the spring, and bent the top of the spring a little extra.

Bob
Old 05-29-2016, 11:28 PM

I put in weak springs from Home Depot Four years ago after my frustration with throttle creep on the originals and one pair of HF springs that broke. They give vey smooth throttle action and no creep. I had to cut them to size. As I recall they are 0.375" coil and0.035 wire diameter.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:39 AM

I purchased Century Spring part number 5553. Coil Diameter: 0.375, wire diameter: 0.034, length: 3.63 inches, with extended hooks on both ends. I cut the springs shorter and formed hooks on the cut ends. My new springs have a fraction of the tension of the original springs. With the friction knob completely loosened, the throttle does not move unless the engine is running. Then the throttle opens with the help of vibration. These are the 4th Century part that I have tried and have finally found a winner. Century Spring has a $50 minimum order, so I had to buy many more springs than I will ever use.
At first I was apprehensive about experimenting, concerned about a spring breaking. But with all of the reports broken springs with no noticeable affect, not to worry.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:28 AM

Joe, sounds like you are using a spring equivalent to the Home Depot one I use.

Rich
Old 05-30-2016, 11:13 AM

I bought new springs from the local hardware store. Springs are full coils for entire length of spring. Wire diameter and OD are very similar to original springs. I had to shorten overall length and bend a new loop end being careful not to make sharp 90 degree angle to reduce stress riser. Spring wire can be bent cold without addition of heat for tempering.
-
PPL - 1970
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 244
Old 05-30-2016, 11:14 AM

I didn't see anyone here mention that the throttle springs have to be installed in accordance with the instructions that come with them -- i.e.. the hook has to be put into the eyes at each end as shown in the pictures or instructions.

EBB
Old 05-30-2016, 10:14 PM

Bruce,

I'm not sure Iget what you're point is with regard to spring orientation. Is there something critical I'm missing?

Rich