- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2015, 02:55 PM

Default Broken Throttle Springs

Hi,

I have experienced three broken throttle springs now in 80hrs of flight. They are the new springs (Vans part SPRING-00002, McFarlane part 6822) made by McFarlane for the vernier throttle. See service bulletin 14-12-16.

The springss were installed by hand, so it could not be nicks caused by pliers.

Ken at Van's support was not aware of any issues with the new springs. I also have an inquiry in to McFarlane.

Anybody else out there having problems with the new springs breaking?

Thanks,
Alex
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Paid through September, 2017
Old 12-28-2015, 07:53 PM

Default A few questions.....

Care to share where the breaks occur? Photos? Wear-through or fracture? Have you filed incident reports with Van's all three times?
Old 12-28-2015, 08:07 PM

BigJohn,
I would love to share, but unfortunately the springs departed the plane through the bottom of the lower cowling. I have no idea where/how they actually broke. I did not report the first one since I figured it was just an isolated incident. After losing two more, I'm a bit concerned. As I said, the latest incident (with both springs departing) was reported to Van's.
Alex
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Old 12-28-2015, 09:48 PM

Default Broken Throttle Springs

I had the the right side spring disappear and blame it on improper installation on my part. The lower grommet was also gone.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:25 AM

I broke two nonstandard springs (.ie. Harbor Freight) early on at about 40 hours. I think it was due to over stressing when I shortened them and formed a new end hook. Since then I have 370 hours on some I got from Home Depot with no issues.

BTW did you notice any difference in throttle response when they broke. I didn't. I picked it up on preflight.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:11 PM

RFSchaller, I did not notice any throttle response changes with the springs missing.
Alex
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Old 03-21-2016, 08:53 PM

Ten more hours on the plane and another broken throttle spring. That's four (Spring-00002) springs broken since the new ones came out. Am I the only one suffering from this?
Thanks,
Alex
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Old 03-21-2016, 09:45 PM

Alexe - we had the same problem on our ELSA RV12 that we built ourselves. We did put the new springs on as they came with the Rotax kit. Here's the history and what we did: (all during first 80 hours)

One spring broke - passenger side. It was still hanging on. Ordered 2 new ones from Vans and replaced the broken one

In a short time - spring missing on passenger side - replaced it again

In another short while - spring again missing on passenger side - ordered 2 more from Vans.

This time - we safety wired the bottom of the spring, and bent the top a little more to keep it on

Our conclusion - other than the first one - we think they were just falling off and not breaking. The last one we put on with the safety wire has not fallen off and seems to be working great.

Never had a problem with the pilots side spring.

Called McFarlane and they said it is probably due to vibration and we should balance our prop. We plan to do that soon.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Last edited by bob1393 : 03-21-2016 at 09:46 PM. Reason: added a word
Old 03-21-2016, 10:25 PM

Default Broken throttle spring (again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post
Ten more hours on the plane and another broken throttle spring. That's four (Spring-00002) springs broken since the new ones came out. Am I the only one suffering from this?
Thanks,
Alex
No, it doesn't seem that you're alone. A buddy of mine had the passenger side spring (McFarlane 6822 or Van's 00002 spring) break last week and mine broke yesterday (McFarlane 6822 or Van's 00002 spring). Again, the passenger side. You'll notice that I posted on this thread back in December with a missing spring and missing grommet, again, on the passenger side. I attributed it to improper installation at that time, but now I'm not so sure. I'll notify Van's using their reporting mechanism.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:12 AM

If you have difficulties such as the issue reported in this thread remember to use the standard (official) process detailed on page 17-1 in the current maintenance manual. The data is valuable in determining if changes need to be made.

The preferred method of reporting Pasted below

Include your name and builder/serial #, flight hrs at the time of the problem was discovered, which spring(s) broke and where the break occurred (if any portion of the spring was still attached to the carb.), and any other details that you think might be relevant. Also please include details regarding the following to better help with the investigation.

1. Report whether checks have been made to confirm there is no more than .1 degree difference in pitch between the two propeller blades.

2. Report whether a dynamic propeller balance has been done.

3. Confirm that the carb. sync procedure has been properly completed within the previous 100 hrs using vacuum gauges.

4. Report whether the airplane is operated for extended periods in a rough rpm band. (Many 912s seem to run rough in the 2500-3500 range, sometimes to the extent of shaking the carbs enough to even vary the mixture and compounding the problem.)

5. Report whether the engine is idled below 1800 RPM (other than for a few moments during startup and shut down) for extended periods.

FEEDBACK
To maintain the highest level of safety the FAA requires and Vanís Aircraft Inc. requests notification of any safety of flight issue, service or maintenance difficulty that could compromise airworthiness of the RV-12 aircraft. A feedback form is provided in the Supplement section of this manual.
(It is also available

A valuable description will include:
∑ Specific flight condition if applicable.
∑ List of the parts identified as affected by the anomaly.
∑ Description of the apparent condition of the parts prior to the anomaly (de-burred,
primed, modified, etc.)
∑ Statement as to whether the aircraft has remained within the operating limitations defined in the POH.
∑ Brief description of the type and frequency of aircraft use (may include; runway conditions, flying conditions, storage methods, etc.)

REPORTING METHODS
Mail to:
ATTN: RV-12 Safety Alert
Van's Aircraft, Inc.
14401 Keil Road, NE
Aurora, OR 97002 USA

Fax to:
'RV-12 Safety Alert' (on cover page)
Hours: 24 hours per day

E-mail to:
'RV-12 Safety Alert' (in subject line)
engineering@vansaircraft.com

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 03-22-2016 at 10:27 AM.