VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-28-2015, 08:55 AM

Default Flap Control Systems

This weekend finished the tailcone, anticipating about 30 or so more hours to get everything mounted and maybe replace a few rivets here and there. The QB Wings and Fuselage are still about 3 months out so this gives me some time to really focus on updating my project plan and putting the pen to the paper on some of the systems I plan to use.

The only flap systems I've used previously are either the up/down toggle switch of an older 172 or the preselect switch where you can put in various degrees of flaps.

What I would like to do in the 10 is have a system that has these preselects, doesn't allow flaps to extend at certain speeds and has a visual representation either on a Glass panel or with lights. I would like a stick with an up/down toggle and an additional up/down toggle on the panel to move to the preset positions (Not have to hold it down and look out the window to guess the degrees).

Can this be accomplished with using a Vertical Power-X and a G3X setup and sometype of Flap Switch (Aerosport or otherwise). I know Vans has their flap positioning system but that seems completely independent and more like what I have in my 172.
Donated for 2017
Old 12-28-2015, 09:34 AM

Absolutely, the vpx has this built in and the switch from aerosport is perfect for this.
Flying - AKA Still Tinkering
Build Project Site
Old 12-28-2015, 09:58 AM

Thanks. Won't add that to the QB kit then.
Donated for 2017
Old 12-28-2015, 10:00 AM

This flap positioning system from Van's is a nice unit and recommended. To lock it out at speed you can use a simple speed switch running off your pitot, or a "flap permissive" switch on the panel. Either switch would open/shut the flap positioning system common ground wire connection to ground.

I have a "Pilot/Co-Pilot" selector switch on my pane to select who controls the stick flap and trim controls. This switch again opens/shuts the trim and flap common ground connections to ground (DPDT on-none-on locking toggle switch). This prevents the non-pilot passenger in the co-pilot seat from messing up the flaps or trim, and provides means to have a back up trip and flap control if the pilot controls break for any reason. Both pilot and co-pilot sticks use the Infinity Stick Grip.

Carl
Old 12-28-2015, 10:56 AM

Think carefully about the law of unintended consequences. If you need to do a go around from a full flaps approach, will your over-speed system prevent flap retraction if you accelerate quickly?
Old 12-28-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Think carefully about the law of unintended consequences. If you need to do a go around from a full flaps approach, will your over-speed system prevent flap retraction if you accelerate quickly?
Wouldn't think you would put any limiting factor in retracting flaps, just extending them.
Donated for 2017
Old 12-28-2015, 01:08 PM

Default Flap Position Selector

If I'm not mistaken, all of the current flap positioning systems use a "push to select" position. That is, press down once to go to the next down position or press and hold to continue to full down (also with a press once for full up). These systems work well.

What I have been developing (for my own use) is a system much like the Cessna design, that allows position preselect (take-off, cruise, approach, landing). It incorporates indicator lamps (different color for each position) that flash while traveling and steady when the flap position is reached. It uses a rotary switch for position selection but could be adapted to step positioning like the Cessna. My AFS glass panel display has an independent flap position indication.

I looked at using a different flap motor that had position indication built-in but rejected that because of potential reliability issues. Vans has a proven motor and motor/indicator would require me to be the test environment, among other challenges. The software for the Arduino motor controller is more involved than I originally imaged and I'm having it developed by a third party far more experienced in this than I am.

So, a rotary selection switch rather than a toggle switch with LED position indication, using Van's flap motor and POS-12 for position. If others are interested, I will be glad to provide code, hardware specs and schematics when the project is complete.
Nick Leonard (#40015) Finally Finished & Flying
C (916) 425-1064
Nick@NLeonard.com
Old 12-28-2015, 10:14 PM

Default Vans flap control system

I am using the Vans flap control system. I installed the toggle switch just left of my push/pull throttle control. I can easily operate the switch without removing my hand from the throttle.

It has proven to be reliable and easy to use. I am not sure why you need a complex system with air speed limits. The 10 lands easily with or without flaps extended. In a go around The engine has enough power to get you a positive rate of climb even with 2 or 3 people in the plane.
RV10 flying since July 2014- 350 hours as of May 2017
RV6A purchased and flying
Old 12-28-2015, 10:16 PM

Default amendment to previous post

the last sentence should have said that you can get a positive rate of climb with 2 or 3 people in the plane AND the flaps fully extended
RV10 flying since July 2014- 350 hours as of May 2017
RV6A purchased and flying
Old 12-29-2015, 08:37 AM

I've used the FPS and didn't like it. A little problematic getting it adjusted and the stops aren't exactly where you want them. Also you have to hold down almost as long to trigger the increments as the movement itself takes. If you trigger too quick they don't activate. The ten flaps are fast enough that you don't have to hang on the lever. So, just more problems than solutions. Might as well count them and stop where you want.