Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2015, 06:59 AM

My Rocket used the footwell box as the mount for the rear rudder pedals. The pivot was at the very bottom of the well, and the whole assembly came out as one unit when you removed all the screws. I removed the pedals almost immediately however, as the interface to the main rudder cables just wasn't very clean. Lots of rubbing and weird angles.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 11-19-2015, 10:53 AM

Default Footwells

Agree with Axel. Never found rudder buttons in rear seat of RV-8 adequate for good control; after landing (from the back) I would ask the pilot in front to finish the roll-out. I wasn't comfortable doing that. It was his airplane!
Flying Pitts S-2A, Piper Lance
Old 12-13-2015, 07:06 PM

Foot wells were constructed from scratch and installed just a few days ago. They look good and make the rear seat much more comfortable. I got back there and tried them out, on the ground. Have not had a real passenger use them yet.
Thanks for all the good info, it made the project go very smooth.
marvin@buckeye-access.com
Old 02-21-2017, 07:17 AM

Using the Cloud Dancer plans Smokyray linked to and the RV-4 Fastback Pics of Axel, I still can't tell if the sidewalls of the foot wells are to be riveted on the outside of the 90* bends in the V shaped flooring or on the inside of the bends? In other words, when one looks into the foot well, can the bends be seen?
hope to fly it in summer of 2017
0601054@gmail.com
Old 02-21-2017, 09:59 AM

Default Nothing new under the sun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv1121 View Post
I am interested in installing foot wells for the rear passenger. Has anyone done this before to their already flying RV-4. Are they the same ones that go in the RV-8 Do you make them yourself or buy them pre made from Van's. Any info would be helpful.
Marv/John,
This is an age old question that has been discussed many times over the years on this forum. A quick reference to the search tab above will yield a plethora of usable data on virtually any RV related (and various other) subjects.
Many years ago, Van queried early RV4 builders via a survey as to what we would change in the newly designed but yet unreleased RV8. Passenger foot wells was one of the top requests.
An early RV4 builder (Paul McReynolds) crafted foot wells for his RV4, printed a set of plans and submitted them to the now defunct RV8R newsletter. They can be found in the 24 years of the RV8R book I highly recommend for any non builder of the original RV's. My friend Steve Sampson was savvy enough to post them on his blog during the construction of what I believe is the quintessential RV4, G-IKON. Here is a link to the plans. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_n0oPgd-_rr...h/HPIM0980.jpg
I built mine in a day of mild rivet work, cutting and fitting. Be careful that they are not too deep as the aileron pushrods will rub the bottom. One of the single best mods to the RV4 I made.
I added my own design rear rudder pedals that were basically stirrups that clamped to the rudder cables that folded out of the way or could be removed.
I considered my RV4 more like an RV3 with big baggage and not a dual control, instruct from the rear seat airplane, nor would I ever put anyone in the front seat who wasn't qualified to solo it. My 2 cents.

Rear foot wells are highly recommended. Just do it...

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=56247
VAF link to one of many threads on subject.

V/R
Smokey

Last edited by smokyray : 02-21-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:52 AM

Default Need some pics?

John,
You had your feet in mine when I took you for a ride last visit you made to NC! You forgot to take a picture didn't you!
8A7 / Advance NC
Old 02-21-2017, 12:50 PM

About the only picture I took was of me grinning during my FIRST RV takeoff
!!
hope to fly it in summer of 2017
0601054@gmail.com