- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2015, 09:54 PM

Default Foot wells for rear passenger

I am interested in installing foot wells for the rear passenger. Has anyone done this before to their already flying RV-4. Are they the same ones that go in the RV-8 Do you make them yourself or buy them pre made from Van's. Any info would be helpful.
marvin@buckeye-access.com
Old 11-17-2015, 11:30 PM

They are not the same as an rv-8 but you can use them. Look for pics on the links below my name. I have pics of how i did it. Also, i have explained the process on VAF in posts. You may be able to find it using the search function. Good luck. Easy project and well worth the comfort for the aft pasenger.
West Coast Ravens
VAF 2017 paid VAF 704
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:34 AM

Default what I did

The foot wells are super easy, and by far the best thing for passenger comfort in the -4. I made mine from .032" scraps, and had them done in an afternoon. My advise, is make the cutouts in he floor pan, then stick it back in the plane and fold up some cardboard footwells and fit them to make sure they do not interfere with aileron torque tube, moved in full travel both ways. They will be close...depending on the shape you make.
8A7 / Advance NC
Old 11-18-2015, 04:14 PM

Default foot wells

does anyone have some diagrams of the foot wells? I did not see them on the links?

thanks
danny
Old 11-18-2015, 04:26 PM

Thanks Bill, those are great pictures of your footwell install job. I plan on starting this job soon.
marvin@buckeye-access.com
Old 11-18-2015, 04:53 PM

found an old post. You only need 6 parts from the RV-8. I can't find the part numbers but you can get them off any RV-8 preview plans.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...83&postcount=7
West Coast Ravens
VAF 2017 paid VAF 704
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:46 PM

Default De plans, de plans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv1121 View Post
I am interested in installing foot wells for the rear passenger. Has anyone done this before to their already flying RV-4. Are they the same ones that go in the RV-8 Do you make them yourself or buy them pre made from Van's. Any info would be helpful.
Marvin,
The foot wells were one of the single best mods I made to my RV4, 20 years hence. The original plans were drawn up by a builder and posted in the now defunct RV8R newsletter from Vans, well-referenced above by Axel. Pay close attention to aileron push-rod clearance.
The original drawings were modified by Cloud Dancer and referenced in links below.
V/R
Smokey

Original Drawings:
Here is a blog spot thread clip from Cloud Dancer several years ago:

We changed the design of the foot-wells as shown in the RVator a little bit. The distance of the front side from F-404 is 0.5“ larger and it has different angles. We worked it out while seating in the backseat to get a good position of our feet (5ft 10inch tall).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8373/8...da8eaa8813.jpg
A sketch of our design with measurements in mm. The black line shows the position of the design as published in the RVator. I discussed the aileron pushrod clearance issue of our design with Ken Scott of Vans. It was ok for him. If I remember correctly, he said that you should have at least 5mm clearance (general rule).
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8334/8...40e4bbf3aa.jpg
We thought about using the RV-8 parts. I don't know how they compare intereference wise. We finally went with our own design, because we liked to have a small flat part on the bottom.

Last edited by smokyray : 11-18-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:11 PM

If I install rear seat rudder pedals does the passenger raise his feet out of the wells to use the pedals? Not sure how that works as I have never sat in a 4 that had the wells AND pedals.

I sure appreciate your posts and pics Axel. I'm a fellow Aero guy.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
If I install rear seat rudder pedals does the passenger raise his feet out of the wells to use the pedals? Not sure how that works as I have never sat in a 4 that had the wells AND pedals.

I sure appreciate your posts and pics Axel. I'm a fellow Aero guy.
Aero guys rule!! Joking.

The geometry of the pedals for the aft person is not optimal. I found the configuration i tried (with foot wells) was not usable. I never felt as i had control of the aircraft. My feet were inside the footwells. I am sure someone else may have had a better experience than mine.
West Coast Ravens
VAF 2017 paid VAF 704
Old 11-19-2015, 06:49 AM

Default more foot well

Do a search in VAF for user name "Cement85" do exact search make sure you capitalize the "C" in Cement. this thread has diagrams which I used in my 4
The footwells work fine. As I remember, maybe a little trimming to gain clearance for controls, maybe not. This thread also has links from Steve Sampsons build log "Ikon" IMO the best best and most informative log relating to the RV4.
0 360 A1A Ellison throttle body
PMags
Trutrak Efis
Catto 3 Blade
FLYING HAPPY!
2016 VAF Dues Paid for two..... its well worth it!