- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2015, 07:15 PM

Default Best way to trim the rudder?

At cruise, my RV-9 flies hands off with the ball about half a diameter to the left, requiring left rudder to center it. I'd appreciate some guidance on how big of a wedge I need to glue on the rudder to correct it, and if somebody knows where I can get a plastic wedge kit rather than using a wood wedge.

Thanks,
Brian RV-9
Old 11-11-2015, 08:14 PM

About 3/4 of one of these placed midpoint on the rudder addressed my trim needs when the ball was 1/2 out:
http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=9883. Hurry though b/c Avery is closing things up pretty quick.

I recently moved my wedge down to the bottom of the rudder where it is less obtrusive visually. However, since it is probably now partially blanketed by the HS and elevators, I find that I probably need a bit more of the wedge.

Long and short, decide where you want to locate yours and then just trim a little at a time until you find the right size to center the ball.

Good luck.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2018
Old 11-11-2015, 08:52 PM

Default Rudder trim wedge mounting method

To mount the wedge for determining its size, use scotch 3M temporary double side poster tape, the thin clear stuff just like Scotch Tape. It is strong enough to secure the wedge while you figure out how big it must be and is easily removeable for adjustments. Use new tape each time. Once you have finalized the wedge size, switch to the permanent Scotch 3M tape. It sounds hokie but mine has been on there for over 8 years using this tape.
This tape is very thin so the wedge fits flush to the rudder. Cleanliness is important and the area must be free of wax.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-9 Yellow Bird View Post
At cruise, my RV-9 flies hands off with the ball about half a diameter to the left, requiring left rudder to center it. I'd appreciate some guidance on how big of a wedge I need to glue on the rudder to correct it, and if somebody knows where I can get a plastic wedge kit rather than using a wood wedge.

Thanks,
Brian RV-9
Installing a trim tab on the rudder is treating the symptom rather than treating the cause of the problem. If the skid ball is out you obviously have a rigging problem that is causing asymmetrical drag and hence yaw. I recommend you start by taking a good look at your wheel and gear leg fairings to make sure they are in trail. It has been reported than an error of just 1/8" in the trailing edge of a gear leg fairing can cause a half scale deflection of the skid ball.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:29 AM

Default Can You Say - Gurney Flap?

Look it up!

Gurney Flap - Wiki

HFS
Old 11-12-2015, 08:56 AM

Another vote here for the Avery rudder wedge approach. Cheap, easy, and effective. . Mine ended up as noted above ... About 3/4 of the original wedge length located mid span.
(Dues paid thru Nov '17)
Old 11-12-2015, 09:02 AM

Default Gurney flap

Wow! Dan's a shirttail relation and I never knew he did that. Sounds worth a try on my left flap lower (?) surface to correct a 1/3 right ball in cruise. Has anyone on the site given this a try?
Flying Pitts S-2A, Piper Lance
Old 11-12-2015, 09:46 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dicus View Post
Wow! Dan's a shirttail relation and I never knew he did that. Sounds worth a try on my left flap lower (?) surface to correct a 1/3 right ball in cruise. Has anyone on the site given this a try?
Small world, the person who named it married an engineer who worked for me...
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 11-12-2015, 10:20 AM

Default Gurney flap

Thanks Gil - neat to hear. My maternal aunt was Dan's mother's sister. Got to meet him only once but he is memorable. His accomplishments as a driver, builder and innovator are amazing. Interesting - his dad was a baritone with the Metropolitan Opera, reputed to do limericks and great jokes non-stop for 48 hours; quite a raconteur! Sorry - this is really peripheral. Hope someone enjoys.
Flying Pitts S-2A, Piper Lance
Old 11-12-2015, 05:28 PM

Default Use of Gurney Flap

A -4 in Santa Paula (SZP) is using one now on his rudder - very effective, and not very big.

HFS