VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-22-2016, 08:27 PM

Circling back around here during a break from Oshkosh packing.

Tim
--
EL = Electroluminescent lighting. The same backlighting technology in your watches, among other places you'd never think. I tried a few different types from various vendors, eBay, etc. Ended up working with Ellumiglow.com, with a couple of their parallel panels. These panels are the ones that work best for cutting to size and cutting out holes in. Obviously it ain't cheap. I used probably 7 or so medium and small sized panels.

You also have to watch, to a degree, the interference from whatever EL power inverter you use - same basic idea as with LED nav/strobe/landing lights. Again, Ellumiglow led the pack here, IMO.

Otherwise, the panels themselves are about as thick as a laminated piece of paper, so they're still somewhat flexible. Ellumiglow's are white, so I layered on a static-stick piece of light blue transparent vinyl sheeting off of eBay. The placards were done by AircraftEngravers.net.

I thank / blame Ed Kranz's RV-10 panel lighting for the inspiration. I wanted to duplicate his lighting, but improve on his quip that only the label words are backlit, due to using discrete LEDs in his design.

Bill
--
Thanks! Already got a Garmin Elite with prop filter a few years back. It's charging now for the trip. I've got some test video from my cousin and me doing practice approaches around Cincy in his 182 a year or so back. Needless to say, I'm holding onto it as blackmail material. Neither of us were on our game that day.
N112SB reserved
IO-320 w/EFII and Catto 3-blade
Beringer brakes/wheels/tires
Dual G3X Touch (Stein's bankrupted me!)
Emp - DONE! (90%) (9 mos, 4 days)
Wings - DONE! (90%) (1 yr, 2 mos)
Fuselage - Almost Done
Finish - Engine Prep and misc
AT THE AIRPORT!!! (KHAO)
=VAF= 2016 paid up
Old 02-24-2017, 09:54 PM

Recent upgrade installed by Jesse Saint, designed by Jesse and myself. A simple design that took a lot of back and forth to get just right

Twin Dynon Touch
Garmin G5 on the left
Top center are the Knob, Autopilot, Comm controllers. Then Garmin 625, Garmin SL40, Garmin 240 audio panel.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:53 PM

That looks great..
N517NC ( reserved)
Dues Paid
NOV 2016
July 2017
Old 03-14-2017, 03:37 PM

Default N1119A Panel

Panel is in airplane - month 13 of slow build 9A.

All Garmin, full IFR panel with permanent IPAD dock in front of co-pilot.

Wings complete.
Empenage complete.
Fuselage complete.
Gear/fairings/wheel pants complete

I was holding off the front top deck to enable the avionics installation. Now that the avionics are in, and everything is working, I am going to put the front deck on, finish the windscreen and canopy, and then on to the engine.

This thing is starting to get very exciting!

Based on current progress, I plan to have the 9A out of the garage, at the hangar for final assembly in the fall. I am in the DC Metro Area. Hangars are expensive and hard to get. I have been on waiting lists for 3 years. The hanger is 40 minutes away, so I am kind of dreading the time when the project leaves the nest.

Steve Gross
First Time Builder
New Flyer
Old 03-15-2017, 03:36 PM

Finally finished!
Old 03-15-2017, 06:08 PM

Great job David! Looks really nice. I look forward to hearing about those cross country trips you've been planning with you dad.