Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2015, 09:32 PM

Checked my NL starter today. LOOSE! Tab washers were in place.

There is a problem here folks. Everyone should check theirs.

Erich
Old 09-16-2015, 12:37 PM

Default Failed again

Yeah mine has come loose again after 49 hrs, bolts pulled, lock tabs still in place. I'm not sure whether to send it in for warranty or just install some tine-serts myself, or buy a B&C.
Tim
Old 09-16-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2542 View Post
Yeah mine has come loose again after 49 hrs, bolts pulled, lock tabs still in place. I'm not sure whether to send it in for warranty or just install some tine-serts myself, or buy a B&C.
Tim
If you don't send it for warranty how are they going to learn? It is not a flight risk. Put inserts in the new one.

Edit: Or . . Work with them to figure it out. Others might benefit too, and you won't have to experiment solo.

Last edited by BillL : 09-16-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:21 AM

Over the past 25 years of working on Lycoming engines I have seen many of the in line type starters with loose case bolts and weeping a grey "grease like" substance. A theory explained one day was that the starter motor house experiences small amounts of torque during starting and the long through bolts get twisted slightly, which eventually leads to fretting as the housing gets looser and looser. Not sure how true this is, but this is a fairly common issue.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:33 AM

Hmmm...I've absolutely noticed this repeatedly and repeadtedly tightened the bolts. I put torque seal on the heads and noticed it cracks so there definitely is some loosening going on. Mine did not come with any locking mechanism other than star style lock washers. I remove the phillips head bolts/screws, put new star washers under it, tighten and torque seal. At first it seemed like they loosened with fewer hours, as time has gone on it seems I have to do it less, though I don't know if it's associated with the number of start cycles. I haven't been able to fly as much recently

It would be great to have a more reliable solution...

Jeremy Constant
RV7A "Stella Luna" ECI IO-360 WW200RV Pmags 360hrs
VAF 2017 paid plus some for those who can't
Old 10-24-2015, 10:17 AM

Default Starter

Pulled the cowl to change the oil and give everything a good look . The Skytec Starter was making a mess , sent some pics to SkyTec . They want the starter back for warrantee . Guess they know about the issue and want to make it right .
N 666 TA / serial #999
Airworthiness Certificate issued 12/15/2014
First Flight 2-3-2015 🚀
2014 donation paid
Old 10-24-2015, 05:13 PM

Just back from the hangar, working on a condition inspection. Skytec NL with a few hundred hours on it completely loose between the halves. Full on "jiggle, jiggle 3/32" between the halves with locking tabs still in place. I'll be interested to hear Skytec's comment.
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 10-24-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard View Post
Just back from the hangar, working on a condition inspection. Skytec NL with a few hundred hours on it completely loose between the halves. Full on "jiggle, jiggle 3/32" between the halves with locking tabs still in place. I'll be interested to hear Skytec's comment.
I would not expect full disclosure, just warranty.

Someone should measure the bolt length each time it comes loose. It may be yielding instead of pulling out the threads. That would help those out of warranty narrow the failure mode, and effect a durable repair. These should be pretty high strength bolts, maybe they came from a non-heat treating country.

Edit: I guess this goes on the oil change check list?

Last edited by BillL : 10-24-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:19 PM

One trick might be to remove the bolts one at a time and reinstall them, preheating them first. Depending on the material of construction of the bolts, the bolt length difference due to thermal expansion can be very precisely calculated. Heat the bolts so they are maybe 0.0005"- 0.001" longer than cold, then install them.

Steam turbines are often assembled this way, to create a sealing pressure between the two halves that varies less when the casings and bolts heat up and expand.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:53 AM

Default tab washers

Does anyone know what's the part number for those tab washers?

Lenny