- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2014, 09:03 PM

Bob,

You need a bit more than a medical to operate IFR, dude!

Rich
Old 01-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
I checked my operating limits and found these two items that seem to conflict with each other, because my phase 2 limits say both apply. The first seems to preclude IFR, while the second leaves the door open after equipment installation:

10. This aircraft is to be operated under VFR day only.
11. After completion of phase 1 flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with 14 CFR 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR day only.

Does everyone else have both these limitations in phase 2? Does #11 trump #10? Are my limits in error to carry #10 into phase 2?
This is an older thread but its content just became current for me, so I thought I'd update the community on the latest development.
I was just in the same position as Rich, as I was getting ready to take Private lessons in my ELSA RV-12, checking my Operating Limitations if Night VFR was ok to do in my night equipped RV-12.
I had the very same limitations as Rich had quoted which had the exclusive Day VFR clause applied to Phase II.
I contacted my DAR who had issued my Airworthiness Certificate and the OpLims some 3 years ago and he contacted his supervisor at the FSDO who authorized him to re-issue amended Operating Limitations (along with a new Airworthiness Certificate) which correct this mistake.
The whole procedure was done in less than a week and my bird is now legal to fly at night if equipped according to FAR 91.205.
The OpLims look completely different now, it's a complete rewrite and more of a narrative than just numbers to express limitations. Less of a chance for errors that way, I suppose.
RV-12: #120374, ELSA, N128TL flying since Nov 28, 2013 (Phase 1 completed 1/26/14)
SkyView, Light Package, ADSB
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/
APRS Track
dues paid Nov '16
Old 01-18-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuspilot View Post

Would you need a second screen, Ahrs and gps and alternate static source to be legal? Heated pitot?
No, no, and no. The FARs and the "usual" operating limits only require the bare minimums, no backups. Now, whether or not that is wise, is another story...
Old 01-18-2017, 07:16 PM

Torsten and I exchanged copies of our operating limits. I found it interesting that his new limits address the life limited components and the requirements of the aircraft operating handbook.

There seems to be some regulatory creep in this moving things closer to the SLSA requirements.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:21 PM

I just got my SECOND set of Op Lims. The DAR was telling me that it is a program that you pick and choose the stuff that applies, and it is easy to get limits that are not supposed to be there for your application. I don't think mine have anything like you mentioned in them.
Retired US Army Officer
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....X&project=1903
Old 01-18-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
I just got my SECOND set of Op Lims. The DAR was telling me that it is a program that you pick and choose the stuff that applies, and it is easy to get limits that are not supposed to be there for your application. I don't think mine have anything like you mentioned in them.
If he is "picking and choosing", he is in violation of the FARs. The required paragraphs for each category are clearly spelled out in the order.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 01-18-2017, 08:05 PM

Rich, while I owned my first 12, I pulled the sl40 and installed a sl30 which requires the same panel space. The 30 is a bit longer but will fit. The D180 has an internal GS indicator that worked perfectly. I mounted the whiskers on the tail cone fairing under the stabilator . You barely even notice the antenna. There is a slight pin change required, but it worked very well. You could also use the VAL Nav 2000. The only glitch with this would be identifying the station if you don't have an audio panel and you would have to figure out where to mount it. The SL30 does work very well for what you are wanting to do.
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Old 01-18-2017, 08:39 PM

My original ones had a 25 hr phase 1, and I should have a 40 hour. Apparently this is confusing since it seems often the builder gets the wrong Op Lims (like Torsten did).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
If he is "picking and choosing", he is in violation of the FARs. The required paragraphs for each category are clearly spelled out in the order.
Retired US Army Officer
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....X&project=1903
Old 01-18-2017, 09:08 PM

Isn't the 25 hr phase 1 intended for EAB with a certified engine?
Old 01-18-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Isn't the 25 hr phase 1 intended for EAB with a certified engine?
That would be a certified "engine/propeller combination".
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor