- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2015, 04:27 PM

Default headset/ intercom problems

I have lots of sympathy with you folks having problems,- it's horrible having 'mysteries' in the electronics! Don't forget that back in September 2014 it was established that figure 2 on drawing 31b-17, revision 0,(wiring of headphone sockets) was INCORRECT. At that time, 25 Sept 2014, Scott posted that "a change notice is in work to correct the connector depiction, and resolve this problem". I am unable to see where or if the drawing WAS revised on VAN's website, so it may be that there are still many RV12s with incorrect wiring out there. I reckon it's always worth double checking that the wiring matches the schematic, and using matching STEREO headsets first, then delve further into the electronics if you have to... Hope this helps... Cheers, DEAN....
Old 03-21-2015, 06:24 PM

Good point Dean. My Skyview has the D180 conversion harness which is covered by Sections 42C and 42D. Consequently my jacks are installed as per page 31-10 (D180), not 31B-17 (Skyview). Therefore I only have isolating washers on the mic jack and not the headset jack, as only one set of these was supplied with the kit. I wonder if that's contributing to the problem?
Next question - where to get the extra washers? Are they a Vans supplied item or are they sourced from the jack manufacturer - who is...? Alternatively I guess I could shop around locally. Can't be too hard to find some, although the stepped washer is an odd one.

Last edited by rgmwa : 03-21-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:28 PM

Although mounting the headphone jack with insulating washers is a good idea, they might not cure the clicking noise. I have the D-180, so can not give good advice about the SkyView. I would make sure all of the SkyView settings are right and then fly with it. If the clicking noise goes away after acknowledging all alarms, then it is not really a problem.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:36 PM

Insulated Shoulder Washers
Old 03-21-2015, 08:47 PM

Thanks Joe, you're right. I haven't really had time yet to delve into re-setting alarms etc. I'm about an hour and fifteen away from the airfield, so unfortunately it's not a quick trip to the hangar to try things out. I also posted a query on Dynon's website last night and true to their reputation, they have been quick to offer to help with troubleshooting. It's probably nothing major and there are workarounds as you pointed out. If I do find out what's causing the problem, I'll post it here. Thanks for digging up the washer info too. Just saw your post.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:13 PM

Default Passenger communication lost

Hi Joe
I have changed the settings as per Sidetone Level Adjustment instructions, this cleared the audio distortion. However there are now no coms between me and my passenger, although he can hear all the communication with other aircraft very clear.
The other aircraft operators hear my transmissions now clear.
Hope you can help

Last edited by Mauritz : 03-24-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:43 PM

Mauritz,
Do you have the SL40 and Flightcom 403, or GTR200?
Is there side tone? Can you hear yourself talk?
Did the intercom work before you changed the side tone?
Old 03-24-2015, 04:03 PM

If you have the GTR200, have you read page 3-7 of the GTR200 Installation Manual?
Quote:
Intercom Enabled:
Sidetone volume may also be linked to the ICS (intercom) volume. This is
accomplished by selecting the Sidetone setting one turn counter clockwise from ‘00’ setting, ‘ICS’ will be displayed (Figure 3-5). Intercom volume is adjustable in normal mode (see Pilots Guide).
Old 03-25-2015, 10:10 PM

Hi Joe
Hi have the SL40 and Flightcom 403. There were a lot of background noise in my transmitting before I changed the sidetone settings and we could hear one another very clear. I can hear myself talk.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:09 AM

Mauritz,
The SL40 has a built-in intercom. Perhaps that function was turned on before adjusting the sidetone, and now the SL40 intercom function is shut off.
Although I have never tried it, the Flightcom 403 intercom should work with the radio shut off. So with the radio shut off, can you still hear yourself talk? Can the passenger hear himself talk? I tell my passengers to keep the microphone close enough to kiss. And if they can not hear themselves talk, then neither can I.
Does the intercom break squelch when the knob is turned clockwise?
Is the intercom switch up in the ICS position?
Are both headsets stereo?
Have you tried other headsets?
The intercom works best when both headsets are the same brand and model.