- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2017, 08:56 AM

Default GRT and Dynon D10A magnetometer in same wing tip

When I purchased my RV7A from the original builder both magnetometers were mounted on the shelf just forward of the vertical stabilizer. As a result, every time I keyed the radio, magnetic interference was so great that both my GRT EFIS and my backup D10A headings would drift. The drift was so bad that I literally had no idea which was the most correct (neither were very close to actual magnetic heading). ForeFlight got me from Denver (where I bought the plane) to my home in OKC.

After talking to GRT and Aerotronics (who built my panel) I decided to move both magnetometers to a wing tip position. Originally I was going to put them in separate wing tips but D10A wire length limits forced me to place them in the same wing tip. I did my best to ensure appropriate separation from strobe and other electrical interference and paid very close attention to their alignment to within 2 degrees of level to the AHAR units.

I can report that heading differences between the dual GRT Horizon WS and my Dynon D10A have, since this move, (about a year and a half ago) at all times remained within one to two degrees of each other and actual magnetic heading. Strobes, landing light wires, and relatively close proximity of the two magnetometers (about a foot apart) to each other do not appear to impact headings. There is more than 18" distance from the landing and strobe lights from the magnetometers.

I also want to thank Pat Hatch publicly for his patience and support when I installed my Tosten multi-function grips last fall. Without his assistance that effort would have been a disaster. His "Ultimate Hub" is a truly great trim controller.
Vietnam Vet (US Army)
2017 Contribution: 12/17/2016
Old 03-20-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmillso View Post
How about the nut plates for the wing tip attach screws? I don't seem to be able to find any #6 size made of stainless. Is using steel Ok in this situation, or will it affect the magnetometer?
Regards,
Tom.
Tom, I'd be more concerned about anything ferrous that moves. If it's stationary, not as much of a concern. We did use the stainless screws but the nutplates are just the regular ones. You should be fine. You'll discover any problems when you do your magnetometer interference check.
RV-7 (Sold)
RV-8 (Helped build Bob Lund's airplane)
www.phaviation.com Trim Relay Boards/Wiring Hubs
www.pathatch.com/blog (Photography)
Track Me
Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 PM

Pat, you just made my day (then again, I'm current working in the canopy, so any good news makes my day).
Other builders here have been telling me I should make a composite strip that the stainless screws bite into, however I was concerned about the longevity of such and would have rather just use nut plates, so thanks for confirming that it should work ok!
Tom.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:03 PM

Default above a wing access plate?

I plan on the wing tip but since the inspection plates have fewer screws to remove what would be wrong with above the second inspection plate behind the fuel tank on that rib?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:34 PM

Default Orientation settings

Pat

I mounted my grt magnetometer for the sport efis recently in the wing tip just like pat has pictured. Seems to be working well from an interference point of view.

However, I am a bit confused about the magnetometer orientation needing to be the same as the ahrs internal to grt sport.

Do I have to make a mount for the magnetometer and it needs be horizontally mounted? Or are there settings I can adjust ...? Curious to see what your ahrs and magnetometer orientation settings look like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hatch View Post
Tom, I'd be more concerned about anything ferrous that moves. If it's stationary, not as much of a concern. We did use the stainless screws but the nutplates are just the regular ones. You should be fine. You'll discover any problems when you do your magnetometer interference check.