How to repair a Rotax 965-349 / Ducati 362001 Rectifier Regulator.
This procedure only applies to regulators made after 2009, these are marked with the number 362001.
The failures are mechanical, caused by lead stress and fretting of the power component at the PCB. Usually they are easily repaired.
This work is not permitted on regulator that will be installed in an S-LSA, unless you get authorization from Vans.
To remove the potting compound;
- cut along case/potting compound edge with a utility knife. Do all four sides.
- pry between the case and the potting compound to separate it from the PCB.
- use an orange wood or ice cream stick to separate the compound from the PCB
- start from the corner shown in the picture
- the entire process takes 10 minuets
- the removed potting compound can be reused when you are done...if you were careful
Inspect and resolder these eight locations
The removed plug of potting compound can be reattached with high temp RTV.
The total cost $0.00...if you donít have buy the solder or RTV
Here is the link for a complete photo documentation of the repair to this regulator sample;
The test fixture is only required for troubleshooting, (and testing if desired.) This test fixture was built from built from material on hand, total cost $0.00.