Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2017, 01:27 PM

Default Now on to that 4th - or would it be 5th - career!

Congratulations Paul...I hope this doesn't mean you'll be any busier than you already are.

First flight 1-29-13
Phase I complete 5-25-13

INVERTED: Looking Back on Walking Away
Old 03-21-2017, 02:53 PM

Paul,

Congratulation!

It is also my goal to get my A&P. I am taking a different route. I received my LSRM earlier this year so I can self-certify my experience. I intend to use my time building my RV8 as experience working on airframes, but I will need additional time working on powerplants. Here are some reference information if you are interested:

FAA Guidance
FAA Inspectors Handbook. Order 8900.1 Volume 5 Chapter 5 Section 6
paragraph 5-1253.

5-1253 CREDIT FOR LIGHT-SPORT AIRCRAFT PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE TOWARD MECHANIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS UNDER TITLE 14 CFR PART 65, SECTION 65.77. A repairman (light-sport aircraft) with a maintenance rating may document time working on either ELSA or SLSA. To apply for a mechanic's rating the repairman must show that he or she has at least 18 months of practical experience working on either powerplants or airframes, or that he or she has at least 30 months of practical experience working on airframes or powerplants concurrently. One month's practical experience is 160 hours of documented time.

Other reference:
AC 65-32A

12. May Experience Earned as Repairman (LSA) with a Maintenance Rating be Used to Meet the Experience Requirement in Part 65, § 65.77 for a Mechanic Certificate? A repairman (LSA) with a maintenance rating may document time worked on LSA. To apply for a mechanic certificate with airframe or powerplant rating, the repairman must document at least 18 months each of practical experience, working on either airframes or powerplants, or at least 30 months of practical experience working on airframes or powerplants concurrently. One month’s practical experience is 160 hours of documented time. This time includes all time working on SLSAs and only condition inspection time on ELSA aircraft. Documentation should be in a written format, such as a log showing the date and number of hours spent performing the work, type of work performed, and the registration number of the aircraft the work was performed on. The log entries must be verifiable, which can be accomplished by either statements and/or initials from the individual’s employer or supervisor or owner of the aircraft following each entry in the repairman’s logbook.

Note: RV-12 builders, you may not count build time on an ELSA build if you certify your RV-12 as an ELSA. However, if you certify your RV-12 as an E-AB, your build time could be used as your experience. It is crazy but that is the rule.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:37 PM

Default Yep.

Yes it does feel good once you have crossed that threshold. For us it was Rice over at Hobby south of Houston to get our part 42 ticket. Too many years ago now, but still writing it on even our Little RV. Still trying to get my moneys worth. Keep up the good work.
Yours, R.E.A. III #80888
Old 03-22-2017, 05:55 AM

Default A&P

Way to go Paul! Congratulations!
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter