VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-17-2017, 06:54 AM

Here is how it was done on a 10 link Look at 3-24-16, there are three entries.

First, the system was pressure tested before any fuel was added to ensure there were no leaks. 30 psi air from wing root to spider. No drop overnight. Leaks are always found.

2nd. Perform test at 1.25 max fuel flow at expected fuel pressure. A valve is needed. Put a clear section before the valve to see if any air bubbles are visible. None is the acceptable amount.

3rd Be quick on the pump switch as there is some delay between when the pump sucks air and when the pressure will drop. Listen for the sound change. It is distinctive.

4th - be prepared to discard the first few quarts of fuel as it will contain preservative and possible debris from lines.

5th - plumb a bypass for the servo (injected) and take fuel just before the spider.

Be a good housekeeper with the fuel everywhere. We weighed the fuel as it was easier than other measurements. Keep a good record of what went into and out of each tank. We had a tally sheet at each fuel cap.

Plumbing is different for carb, just hook to the hose at the inlet to the carb. Different numbers for pressure. Everything else the same.

If you do all this, you should be absolutely confident in your first (and all) flights.

A max flow test should be run if the system is down for a major part, filters, pumps etc. . Stuff happens, catch it on the ground rather than hitting the ground later.

Note - This RV10 went to 17.5k altitude and maintained full fuel pressure all the way w/o boost pump.

Last edited by BillL : 03-17-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Very well done, Bill!

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council
Van's East Coast Representative
Mallards Landing, GA (GA04)
Old 03-18-2017, 03:56 PM

Default Done

Thanks Guys I performed the test today with no issues.

Got pretty much (within my calc error) the same GPH at level and nose up attitudes, but thinking about it now that makes sense.

Drippy
Old 03-25-2017, 10:10 PM

Default fuel filter?

Although the procedures read fine, I did run my pump system with filter installed. I did several line flushes prior to attaching filter/pump, filled tanks off while off the plane, shook and drained, etc..... The inline fuel filter serves an important role, it protects your pump, any build debry (you don't catch by washing tank/lines) is going to get caught there for a good reason. I choose to check pressure, using that as a strong indicator the pump is functioning per specs. Also ran electric pump with throttle open wide, mixture open, noting fuel flow, used this really to clean preservation oil (new engine) from cylinder heads & air induction system (have bucket under air intake, no air filter box attached). The fuel filter removal/check is crucial after that first significant electric fuel pump and/or engine run/test from the tanks and just wanted that up front as well.

Cheers & Happy Flying

P.S. Have N56GZ (RV10) through 75% of Phase I, Van's sure does provide us with a great flying machine.