Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2017, 09:36 PM

There is an obvious reason why I can not obtain information on the Talos device.
What is it?
No price, only available overseas? (from US that is).
If one is going to tout this wonderful device (I saw it on the internet, it must be real!) how about backing it up with current real info???
I like the concept, but I also like unicorns.

Ed
Old 02-27-2017, 03:53 PM

No need to be angry, Ed. The first post (from 2013) says the app is called "a-efis" and is made by a company called Talos. It's not a device in itself, rather an app for your Android phone/tablet. It's real and available. It's also free. I tried it a couple years ago and wasn't all that impressed.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...isaeolus_hl=en

Last edited by krw5927 : 02-27-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:16 AM
hall monitor

Here is the Talos Sense which is a stand-alone AHRS box that talks to a tablet:

http://www.talosavionics.com/aeolus-sense/

527 Euro

I suspect we will see more devices like this soon. One day we might bel installing generic displays in our panel and feeding them flight and engine info from dedicated boxes.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 02-28-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:35 PM

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ickkey=3993134
Old 03-18-2017, 04:08 AM

I am pleased to announce that Kwik EFIS has been accredited and accepted as Free and Open-Source software (FOSS) by F-Droid.

Thus, the Kwik EFIS package will now also be available from the F-Droid catalogue at:

https://f-droid.org/repository/brows...layer.efis.pfd

The current released version is 2.4. It features the portrait mode and the HITS navigation display.

Changelog
=========
2.4 (2014-03-17)
------------------
* Waypoint database cycle 2017-03 (usa.can)
* Change bank/skid correction filter constant
* Add automatic de-clutter to HITS

Users may want to install the F-Droid catalogue application as well. It provides a most excellent Free Software portal similar to the Google Play Store.

F-Droid provide easy access to a variety of great FOSS software and a easy mechanism updating your installed apps.
See: https://f-droid.org/

Last edited by ninelima : 03-18-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:52 AM

If you have an iPhone, open the included compass app and push the dot at the bottom to access the next page. Flip the phone on its side and you have a convenient and accurate attitude indicator. Try it out and see what you think. Kudos to Vic Syracuse for showing me this.
$50 donation gratefully made (worth every penny)
Old 03-18-2017, 07:20 AM

I just installed the F-Droid app installer/repository, & found the kwik efis app. But both indicate they 'run at startup'. How do we set them up so they only load when we want to use them? Many android apps are battery hogs when running in the background, & I'd like to avoid that issue.

Thanks,

Charlie
Old 03-22-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
I just installed the F-Droid app installer/repository, & found the kwik efis app. But both indicate they 'run at startup'. How do we set them up so they only load when we want to use them? Many android apps are battery hogs when running in the background, & I'd like to avoid that issue.

Thanks,

Charlie
Hi Charlie,

The Kwik EFIS app will not run at startup. You need to start it like any other app and once you exit the app it is gone. No background processes at all.

To be as accurate as possible, the app does however use the maximum performance from the GPS when it is running, there is no way around that.

The to 'run at startup' handler code exist in the program and is therefore reported, but is not used and is disabled in the manifest. The 'run at startup' handler is only used in a dedicated version of Kwik EFIS when it is the only app running on a permanently installed device. Ie Kwik EFIS will start running when the device is powered on.

Last edited by ninelima : 03-22-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:12 AM

Good to hear on the 'startup' issue.

BTW, is this a separate app from the original subject of this thread (A-EFIS)? If so, maybe a new thread would be in order, to minimize confusion.

On to comments and more questions....

When I first loaded it on my phone, I still had a couple of red X's on the display. Finally figured out that if you're not moving, it thinks (knows?) something isn't right. :-)

What would you consider to be a 'comfortable' level of processing power & gyro/accelerometer quality for smooth, reliable operation? Component ID's are fine, but brand/model of phone or tablet would be even better for the lazy (me) among us. Would a 1st gen Nexus7 be adequate? 2013 version? What about some of the phones that are a few years old, like the Galaxy S4 or similar?

Thanks,

Charlie
Old 03-22-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccjbr6 View Post
If you have an iPhone, open the included compass app and push the dot at the bottom to access the next page. Flip the phone on its side and you have a convenient and accurate attitude indicator. Try it out and see what you think. Kudos to Vic Syracuse for showing me this.
That is amazing! Who knew.....

It would seem that this would lend it easily to pick up the other functions of a back-up.

Thanks,
John