VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-27-2016, 08:56 PM

Turbo-

Thanks for the great recommendation! With a whole 5 minutes worth of elbow grease, this is what I was able to achieve with the Purple Metal Polish on my 5 year old bird that has been completely untouched:

Before:

After:

Like better than brand-new!

I'm on a slippery slope now ordering some Nuvite F7 and C compound to help buff out some slight surface corrosion. The warning label is 100% correct on the bottle - "Results May Be Addicting!".
The Best FAA N-Number Availability Search Engine -TailNum.com
Old 04-28-2016, 04:35 AM

mike, kalifornia customs has a deoxidizer too. it works just as easy as the purple stuff. easy on easy off. no need to buff with heavy equipment. you will be very happy with that. turbo out.
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA PRA
http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/turboeddie/profile/
http://www.usapa.org
Pain Free by Pete Egoscue= your answer to all your aches and pains. 'suffering is optional"
addicted pickle ball player
Old 04-28-2016, 04:45 AM

ryan, i missed your post. looks real nice. adictive eh.
Pain Free by Pete Egoscue= your answer to all your aches and pains. 'suffering is optional"
Old 04-28-2016, 09:24 AM

Default QUESTION

If I use the California Custom polish, will that somehow prevent me from going back later with a more traditional system like Flitz or Nuvite?
RV-8A
YIO-360 180 hp Lycoming
Hartzell Blended Airfoil Prop
Engine Hung
Old 03-14-2017, 05:22 PM

Can anyone confirm that this California Purple Polish will not significantly interefere with painting later?

Donation reminder: Jan. 2018
Old 03-14-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinelakespilot2000 View Post
Can anyone confirm that this California Purple Polish will not significantly interefere with painting later?
Hmmm good question and I'm glad you asked it. I have sitting here on my desk a bottle of the California Custom deoxidizer and polish. While I doubt I will ever paint, I do want to ensure these products don't cause future problems. Kinda like using a pencil to mark lines on aluminum - looks great when you do it, then a few years later... Uh oh! That's the last thing I want to have happen.

Does anybody know what's in these products and what potential down-sides there may be to their use?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:09 PM

that is one darn good question. i would give roger a call at the company and see what he says and then report back here. shine or paint, that is the question.

nice to see some easy and nice results. this stuff really works.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:17 PM

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm pretty good at this polishing stuff and just a couple of thoughts.

First, You keep the hangar clean by buying some of those cheap tarps at Harbor Freight. You keep your hands clean by wearing vinyl gloves, which you should be wearing anyway to keep the oils on your hands (and the scratches on your skin) from dinging up your polish job.

The bigger and more important subtext here is the search for the perfect polish job.

You get it once. Once. The first time you polish your plane.

Although you will get better at polishing, you will never be more impressed than the first time. It's like driving your first kid home from the hospital. You'll never drive that carefully again.

Once you start polishing, you're ALWAYS going to notice the imperfections in polishing. You simply have to get used to it because the people coming up to you drooling are not noticing those; they're back at seeing the "first time" thing.

Just as there's only one reason to BUILD an airplane (you want to BUILD an airplane), there's only one reason to POLISH an airplane: you want to polish an airplane.

I tell everyone who says, "boy, that's a lot of work," that "it's cheaper than therapy." They think I'm kidding; I'm not.

There's a loveliness about polishing that isn't for everyone. You're seeing every inch of your airframe. You get to know it intimately; you begin to be one with it. Like I said, it's not for everyone, particularly people who don't care if the chicks dig the polish or not. The fools. Chicks dig the polish, man.

BTW, I used the purple polish as part of a complete polishing diet. I like it. I would never use it on the whole plane. As good a job as it does, it will always look better out of the sunlight. So will your compounding job, but it will look better IN the sunlight than the purple polish.

I would NEVER use the purple polish without first using the "green juice" -- the oxidation remover. Don't ask me why; it just looks better.

It won't screw up future painting, assuming you're going to use a reputable paint shop that prepares the skin appropriately. The biggest threat to future painting, is future preparation.

One final tip: If you don't know whether to paint or polish after doing some polishing, you need to write a big check to the paint shop.

And if you want a polished airplane and don't want to polish, write me a big check instead.
RV-12 empennage completed. Waiting for wings.
Builder log

Last edited by LettersFromFlyoverCountry : 03-15-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinelakespilot2000 View Post
The reason I resurrected this thread was not because I want a polished plane. I want a clean, relatively shiny plane without substantial work and, more importantly, without any silicone or similar residue that will mess with the painting that always seems to be "just around the corner." (Having too much fun flying!) It sounds like no one so far has any idea if it will make painting more complex/time-consuming/difficult/expensive later. As turbo suggested, perhaps calling California Custom might be the best solution.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2018