- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
With the loops in the suction lines where is a possibility of trapping air in the tops of the loops between the filter and the pump.
The fuel valve is mounted up higher than the top of the loop that you are referring to. Why is it recommended to remove the height of the loop, but not to lower the fuel valve?

Thanks!
Andrew Anunson
Old 03-10-2017, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Anunson View Post
The fuel valve is mounted up higher than the top of the loop that you are referring to. Why is it recommended to remove the height of the loop, but not to lower the fuel valve?

Thanks!
Andrew Anunson
The height of the fuel valve has been lowered in later kits. Although the length of tubing to the valve is not nearly the length of 2 of those loops in the pictured setup.
The exposure of that lenght of tubing in the tunnel with the heated airduct going right by it is also complicating the situation.

It may work MOST of the time, but all you really need is the right combination of a takeoff in hot weather after a fuel stop, with the fuel on the ground already at 100+ degrees in some tanks, and inadvertaently leave the fuel pump off (or it fails), and things could get dicey in a hurry. With so many airplanes, especially RV10's changing hands these days, an airplane built in the NW or NE with this configuration MAY never see a problem. Then it is sold owner in the desert SW and conditions are totally different. There the problem could rear its ugly head to an unsuspecting pilot at the worst possible time. Or the current owner takes a vacation to a nice hot spot that is much different than what the conditions were when it was tested during Phase I.

I have completed a few airplalnes during the cold season, and I was always on "pins and needles" during the first hot season. And I've always run the airplanes up to max altitude under the hottest conditions to at least satisfy myself that it worked successfully at least once.

Most of the engine failures today associated with AB aircraft are caused by changes in the fuel system or vents. So this is one area where I tend to preach caution when there are changes.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES, EAA Homebuilt Council
Mallards Landing, GA (GA04)
Old 03-11-2017, 05:40 PM

Default new setup with the airflow performance

So i went very simple.
I move everything forward. I had to add 2 new bracket for the fuel pump and filter right in front of the older one.

Like this, i can go straight from the fuel selector to the filter.
I also end up putting the filter directly on the pump. ( will add a flex hose later from selector to the filter for easier filter removal. )

After removing the fuel flow, i only have another line going directly from the pump to the firewall.
So total of only 2 new line ( many removed) all straight. I have put a firesleeve on the hose near the hot air duct.

Did the air pressure test. Found 2 small leak on the gascolator.

Thank you everyone for your help.

https://goo.gl/photos/E7rPELjrZDUfVzpc7

Rv-7 emp completed but waiting boys to be older to help
donation 2017 done ( little bit earlyer)

Last edited by Lan Vinh Do : 03-11-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Well done! Thanks for listening to the feedback.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES, EAA Homebuilt Council
Mallards Landing, GA (GA04)
Old 03-12-2017, 09:01 AM

Default Here's what I did

http://[URL=http://s377.photobucket.com/user/scorwin75/media/2015-10/90C44CE5-6F79-4042-AC22-571A057F2803_zpstqfggtwl.jpg.html]

Attach the filter directly to the pump using the existing brackets per Tom.

Red cube engine mounted by the way
Old 03-12-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnb View Post
I do like the looks of that phoenix fitting, I might have to try that out. I've flown a good bit in a 10 with the red cube in this same set-up and the meter has never been a problem and the fuel flow seems to be dead on when it says we burned 30 gallons it takes 30 gallons to fill it back up, not sure how much more accurate it could be, what am I missing?

Lynn
If you have good fuel pressure (w/o boost pump) up to 15k, or so, then you are probably not missing anything.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan Vinh Do View Post

Did the air pressure test. Found 2 small leak on the gascolator.

Thank you everyone for your help.
Happy hear it was helpful!
Old 03-14-2017, 03:31 PM

Default Modification to the fuel filter fitting

Here is a copy of the email i sent to Don and his answer for people who screw tne fuel filter directly

Hi Don.
I followed all your advice
Smal strait line direct from the selector to the filter.
i have put the filter directly on the fuel pump. ( removed the fitting from the fuel pump and transferred the o ring on the filter fitting. )
removed the fuel flow sensor so i only have another line that go directly to the firewall ( gascolator in canada : ( )

I read in your instruction that i should have call you before removing the fitting from the pump. Is it OK?

Thank You again for your advice

Vinh

Much cleaner and simpler wouldn’t you say? The only thing we do is cut the flare section off the fitting on the filter that screws into the manifold so that it does not obstruct flow into the pump side of the manifold.

Don Rivera
Rv-7 emp completed but waiting boys to be older to help
donation 2017 done ( little bit earlyer)