- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-02-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
Ricardo,

What is that center display? I don't recognize it.
Hi Kyle.

That's an Apple iPad mini, mounted on an Airgizmo mount. We installed it before Garmin made VFR charts available on the G3X - which were loaded in the iPad using a brazilian app before that. We have Garmin Pilot running on it also. It's a small and inexpensive backup which we didn't have to use yet - and do not plan to do so.

Ricardo
SBFI/IGU
Brazil
Old 03-08-2017, 12:56 PM

So, sometime back I fried my VP200 units just in time to find that Ballard had stopped supporting the system. Thankfully, that was before I had completed my installation, so I sent it back to Aerotronics for rework. While the VP-X system is not as nice (I was really looking forward to the mode switching and being able to operate my system from outside the aircraft using the key fob), it still does the basic job though the lack of circuits meant I needed two VP-Xs and also displays to operate them since the G900X does not support Vertical Power. The solution? Replace my Dynon backup EFIS with two GRT Sport system, one slaved to the other and each supporting one of the VP-X units.

Earlier this week a large package arrived at home; now I can finally get this project back on track. Many thanks to Aerotronics for all their help. The phone shots in my living room are not the best, so I'm also including a shot of the system in test at Aerotronics. Now, on to installation (after the semester is over)!

http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357
Old 03-10-2017, 07:18 AM

Patrick, great looking panel. A couple of questions: Did you use two VPX Pro's or regular models? Curious how many circuits you have/need that required two VPX units! Does the G900X have internal WAAS? So no need for a TSO'd GPS for IFR use?
N127TL Reserved
EAA #: 1106970
2016 VAF Dues Paid!
Old 03-10-2017, 10:07 AM

Two VP-X systems. I'd have to look at the chart for circuit breakdown, but there's a lot going on in my panel. Two Lightspeed ignitions, A/C, Oxygen, AOA, four EFIS, two alternator circuits, plus the usual round of lights, incl. cabin lights, etc. One VP-X wouldn't cut it.

The G900X is WAAS and the transponder is ADS-B ready.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flion View Post
Two VP-X systems... ....Two Lightspeed ignitions
For what it's worth, my lightspeeds are very specifically run separate from the VPX in my plane. They each have their own independent runs to the battery, and each have a pullable breaker on the panel, per the LSE design guide.

But everyone has different design goals...

As for not enough circuits on a single VPX pro, I had the same issue. I ended up using a 6 fuse block for some of the non-critical circuits, and fed that fuse block with one circuit on the VPX.
KSGS - Fleming Field, South Saint Paul, Minnesota

GoodPlaneLiving.com -- Build Blog and Travel Videos
Old 03-10-2017, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaBandit View Post
For what it's worth, my lightspeeds are very specifically run separate from the VPX in my plane. They each have their own independent runs to the battery, and each have a pullable breaker on the panel, per the LSE design guide.

But everyone has different design goals...

As for not enough circuits on a single VPX pro, I had the same issue. I ended up using a 6 fuse block for some of the non-critical circuits, and fed that fuse block with one circuit on the VPX.
I like the way you did that.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES, EAA Homebuilt Council
Mallards Landing, GA (GA04)
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

eladio@sfsportaviation.com
www.sfsportaviation.com
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majuro15 View Post
Does the G900X have internal WAAS? So no need for a TSO'd GPS for IFR use?
Do not confuse WAAS (practically all GPS boxes these days use wide area augmentation system) with the TSO (145/146) required for use as an ifr navigator. To my knowledge no EFIS has that TSO.
Old Today, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Do not confuse WAAS (practically all GPS boxes these days use wide area augmentation system) with the TSO (145/146) required for use as an ifr navigator. To my knowledge no EFIS has that TSO.
Page 46 (2-6 by their chapter/page numbering system) of the G900X Installation manual specifies that the system is compliant with TSO-C146a if the system includes the GIA-63W unit (WAAS capable) or TSO-C129a if it includes the GIA-63 (non-WAAS capable). I can't speak for other systems, but now you know of one. I'm pretty sure the G1000 and probably the G3X are also TSO compliant.
Old Today, 09:54 AM

G3X no, certified stuff from Garmin, yes. I'm not familiar with the 900, so do not want to misspeak (although it sounds the same), but the G1000 is basically like having a remote mounted 430W controlled through the EFIS. It is not merely an antenna using a GPS signal (WAAS enabled or not) such as would be the case of an experimental EFIS without a TSOd navigator.

Build: http://hhav8or.blogspot.com/