- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8pilotpaul View Post
I have all the kits, and so far no release handle. Don't know when or if I will ever get one. I have given up on Van's supplying anything further on this supposed complete kit.
It's a shame we have to feel this way. Off line I've spoken to a few builders that share the same sentiment.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:05 PM

Default RV-14 Kits

Yes, I agree. I thought this would be a very complete kit when I first started this build. Having built an RV-3 and RV-8, and having to think everything out, I was hoping this would be more of an assembly job, but alas, not to be. It is a great airframe, but as I approach the final part of the build, I am frustrated by the lack of items and data I need to finish up. I don't understand why Van's won't address this issue.
RV-12: Sold
RV-14: N354RV
Carbon Cub: N471CC
Old 05-13-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahannaflyer View Post
I may be in the minority but I decided not to have a canopy jettison handle on my panel. I don't have a desire to do acrobatics and I can't think of too many good reasons to bail out. Especially if I don't plan on wearing a chute. Anybody else going this rout?
I think someone mentioned ditching (on a separate thread) as a reason to have the jettison handle in place. I'm not sure if it would make much difference vs just unlatching and pushing the canopy open like you normally would, but I'll take all the help I can get if I'm upside down trapped inside a sinking airplane. I don't fly over water much but even in the mid-west there are some runways where an engine failure on approach or departure could result in no option but the lake or river...
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 05-13-2016, 07:57 PM

Default Canopy Jettison Handle

Here is a picture of my Canopy jettison handle.

I fabricated the rod out of some left over tube and threaded the inside to accept threaded rod so I could attach the handle. The handle was purchased at the hardware store. I also put a rubber grommet in the panel to keep the rod from jiggling around.

The flash makes the label look funny.

"You're never too old to learn something stupid." - unknown
Old 05-14-2016, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
I think someone mentioned ditching (on a separate thread) as a reason to have the jettison handle in place. I'm not sure if it would make much difference vs just unlatching and pushing the canopy open like you normally would, but I'll take all the help I can get if I'm upside down trapped inside a sinking airplane.
If you've ever seen a video of someone trying to open a car door under water, you'll know why. Even if you wait for the cockpit to fill up, it will take a fair amount of effort to move that large bubble through the water to open it. And that's assuming the airframe hasn't twisted and somehow locked the canopy in place.

I'd rather jettison it on the way down (if there's time, and if i'm wearing my helmet so I can still see after it's gone), or at a bare minimum have it unlocked, unlatched, and the release handle pulled, before I hit the water. The momentum will rip the canopy off and throw it ahead of the aircraft as the aircraft comes to a stop. At that point, even if i'm inverted into the water, the canopy is gone and not in my way anymore.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:54 PM

Sooo, is a jettison handle included in the finish kit? Looking at the finished aircraft so far, not many are installing these handles.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:49 AM

The handle is in my kit. A few minor items missing which Van's promptly replaced. This is a complex kit and for me, each kit, as they have arrived over time have shown improvements in packaging and documentation. Early adopters should expect some growing pains. I have been building for 24 years and this product is amazing in both quality of parts and the step by step procedures.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger flying #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 03-08-2017, 06:03 PM

Default Jettison Handle

Yep, the canopy hinge release mechanism parts are in the fuselage kit and the Jettison handle itself is in the finish kit. At least it was in mine. Received it a couple of months ago.
Empennage complete
Fuselage complete.
Finish kit underway.
Gotta order those wings soon!
Old 03-09-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHeidorn View Post
Here is a picture of my Canopy jettison handle.

I fabricated the rod out of some left over tube and threaded the inside to accept threaded rod so I could attach the handle. The handle was purchased at the hardware store. I also put a rubber grommet in the panel to keep the rod from jiggling around.

The flash makes the label look funny.

Any chance to see behind the panel to see how this works???