VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-03-2017, 03:32 PM

Default Sliding canopy plexi rivets

The only way I could get the plexi to attach well to the forward canopy bow and windshield frame was to use a series of spacers across the center area of the canopy bow. Some of these are 3/16 inches. I'm assuming the supplied AACQ-4-4 rivets will not have the required grip length. I'm guessing I'll need somewhere around -6's and -8's. I haven't found these on the Van's web store and I've only located one supplier who will sell me a 100 pack of -6's for ~$35.00. Do you know of any source where I can get a handful of AACQ-4 rivets in the range -6 to -8? Is there an adequate substitution?
Old 03-05-2017, 06:48 AM

If you are committed to using rivets can you use Sikaflex for the center frame rib? I had a 3/8 gap in one section, but just filled it in.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:18 AM

Default rivet alternative

Yes there is an alternative - drill & tap the canopy bow and use #6 screws instead of pop rivets. The screws allow you to put just enough pressure, and reduces the chance of cracking. I have an aluminum strip between the screws and the forward edge of the sliding canopy. One important thing... DO NOT USE Locktite as it attacks the plastic canopy. Vibratite is OK to use. Other benefit: far easier to remove if you ever need to replace the canopy due to cracks or sun damage. I used screws everywhere pop rivets were called for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksel View Post
The only way I could get the plexi to attach well to the forward canopy bow and windshield frame was to use a series of spacers across the center area of the canopy bow. Some of these are 3/16 inches. I'm assuming the supplied AACQ-4-4 rivets will not have the required grip length. I'm guessing I'll need somewhere around -6's and -8's. I haven't found these on the Van's web store and I've only located one supplier who will sell me a 100 pack of -6's for ~$35.00. Do you know of any source where I can get a handful of AACQ-4 rivets in the range -6 to -8? Is there an adequate substitution?
Old 03-05-2017, 01:10 PM

OK thanks. I figured #6 screws would probably be adequate but didn't realize that about using locktite.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaplante View Post
Yes there is an alternative - drill & tap the canopy bow and use #6 screws instead of pop rivets. The screws allow you to put just enough pressure, and reduces the chance of cracking. I have an aluminum strip between the screws and the forward edge of the sliding canopy. One important thing... DO NOT USE Locktite as it attacks the plastic canopy. Vibratite is OK to use. Other benefit: far easier to remove if you ever need to replace the canopy due to cracks or sun damage. I used screws everywhere pop rivets were called for.
Yes, I did the same with #6 screws and Vibratite. The gap I had to contend with was along the spine, starting about 1/3rd of the way back. I used small nylon washers as spacers...if I needed to use 2 or 3, I'd superglue them together to make installation easier (after the superglue was thoroughly dry, of course!). No issues at all with screws backing out from vibration.
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2017
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 03-06-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
If you are committed to using rivets can you use Sikaflex for the center frame rib? I had a 3/8 gap in one section, but just filled it in.
Ditto. And no need for the top strap.
PlanePower Alt, Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines (AKA Hoser)
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

- - 2016/17 donation compliant - -