VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-02-2017, 03:23 PM

Yes, removing the engine and cabin heat cables is kind of a big deal. Next time you have the cowls off, take a look at things. I assume you have the plans for your ship? The cabin heat cable is probably the most trouble. The choke cable is fairly easy to remove and reinstall unless the cable ends get untwisted. Same for the throttle cable. The carbs will need to be re synced, naturally. If you don't mind the work involved, it is very doable.

There are some posts in the forum on how to slot those cable holes in the center panel so you don't have to remove the cables in the future.

All in all, there is not a lot of payback for that much work. The option of leaving the 486 installed as you currently have it makes sense.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 02-02-2017, 03:55 PM

out of sight out of mind is the way i go. the locks are for honest people. if someone wants the unit i would rather they not tear up my skin or canopy to get it. i don't have a lock but i pull my gps out of the panel and take it with me or stash it in the bucket under the rag i check oil with if i am concerned.
would you rather lose a $600 gps or have a broken canopy and a damaged skin that will never be the same again?
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
Old 02-02-2017, 07:29 PM

I put a canopy lock on my ELSA RV-12. At least it keeps the honest thieves from stealing my stuff!
Old 02-02-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
Yes, removing the engine and cabin heat cables is kind of a big deal. Next time you have the cowls off, take a look at things. I assume you have the plans for your ship? The cabin heat cable is probably the most trouble. The choke cable is fairly easy to remove and reinstall unless the cable ends get untwisted. Same for the throttle cable. The carbs will need to be re synced, naturally. If you don't mind the work involved, it is very doable.

There are some posts in the forum on how to slot those cable holes in the center panel so you don't have to remove the cables in the future.

All in all, there is not a lot of payback for that much work. The option of leaving the 486 installed as you currently have it makes sense.
Hey Tony, just back from the field. The isolator made no difference. Unplugging the 496 cables did. At this point I'm left with removing and moving on (I'll hang on to the isolator for potential later use) which is good. I guess the builder and second owner just flew it single seat in pilot isolate mode where it doesn't have any noise. It's too uncomfortable to fly with a pax with that noise though, but I just fixed that with Joes help. I'm gonna take it out and put a gizmo in so I can remove and charge battery. Height looks tight for gizmo but will see. Than you for your ideas.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
Your plan sounds like it would work. Biggest problem I think would be making those two short cuts cleanly so the job looks good. I would slip some thin sheet metal behind the area to be cut to keep from nicking the stack angles. I would remove both the radio and the transponder and mask everything off really well; there will be a lot of metal dust from the cutting. If you haven't removed these units ever before review the installation manuals (available on-line) and there are also posts in this forum on how to get them out. I do know that the AirGizmo will fit between the stack angles but you may have to drill mounting holes.
Thanks Tony and it worked. Used Dremel cutting disk at the narrowest center panel two lateral verticals, right through/across the two screw holes (2x1/4" cuts per side). The panel neatly slid out allowing to mount a 660 gizmo and reinstall. Retains function and looks good.

Last edited by AirHound : 03-04-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHound View Post
Thanks Tony and it worked. Used Dremel cutting disk at the narrowest center panel two lateral verticals, right through/across the two screw holes (2x1/4" cuts per side). The panel neatly slid out allowing to mount a 660 gizmo and reinstall. Retains function and looks good.
Sure would like to see some before-between-after pics of that.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftdown View Post
Sure would like to see some before-between-after pics of that.
Happy to, I'm able to email or text.