Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-28-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
On the 406, how long till the signal gets broadcast if the manual switch is activated on the panel? Is there a delay or instant? My plan should I ever need it is, if ditching in a remote area is to activate the ELT just before.......remote landing-tree branch trimming. So how soon before impact? 30 sec, 90 sec?
Bret,
I believe it is immediate as I have used this option/switch during my annual test and I hear the ELT right away. For the same reason as you have stated, I have installed my control switch in the front of me (left seat) and it is part of my emergency list to flip it on if a crash seem to be imminent. I probably won't wait till 30 sec before impact though
Old 02-28-2017, 07:32 PM

Correct me if this is incorrect, With the Kannad Integra, the 121.5 will start to transmit and sweep instantly but the 406 will not transmit until 50 seconds after?
Old 02-28-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
On the 406, how long till the signal gets broadcast if the manual switch is activated on the panel? Is there a delay or instant? My plan should I ever need it is, if ditching in a remote area is to activate the ELT just before.......remote landing-tree branch trimming. So how soon before impact? 30 sec, 90 sec?
Brett,
I am going through PPL training now, and my CFI explicity has in our emergency landing checklist to arm and fire the ELT when the decision is made to do a forced landing, even if that decision is at 10k feet. Fire it off, communicate to ATC or someone where you are going. This way the GPS coordinates get transmitted from a high altitude all the way to the landing, because once you "land" you don't know if the ELT will survive and be in a position that it can transmit successfully.
http://www.theskunkwerx.com

VAF Donation paid for 2017
Old 03-01-2017, 08:52 AM

Default Nice.

Looks great to me. I might copy you.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:55 PM

A buddy with Ham radio experience once told me that about a 6" diameter ground plane was reasonable for a 406 ELT antenna with reasonable broadcast results. He (tip up 7) attached a plate approximately that size behind his roll over structure & curved the whip up inside the rear plexi. I have done similar a bit farther back on sliders.

Re: broadcast activation, the 406 ELT will start broadcasting immediately on 121.5 (mainly useless in remote areas), after 50 seconds the 406 broadcast will commence which is monitored and will pinpoint your location for search & rescue.
121.5 is useful later when search & rescue are close and can vector in on that signal.

Re: activation in flight prior to eminent emergency landing - the sooner the better. 50 seconds is a long time to hang in the air.