- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
I use the dry graphite rattle can spray on them. It drys and doesn't pick up dirt.
Interesting, I've not heard of that before.
Another aviation related 'google shopping' search is in order for tonight I think

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:00 PM

Most maintenance organisations and engineers (UK based mechanics...) use copper grease on the brake calliper torque pins and a smear on the piston/brake lining back plate contact area.

It will prevent corrosion and stops components sticking to each other that you don't want stuck together....

Loving Rotax....
Old 02-26-2017, 12:20 AM

Lube wasn't called out in the KAI or MATCO documents so I have never used it. After 5 years and 550 hours everything seems OK.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:58 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Lube wasn't called out in the KAI or MATCO documents so I have never used it. After 5 years and 550 hours everything seems OK.
The Cleveland Brakes Manual calls out a Dry Moly Lubricant such as LPS Force 842.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 02-26-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaveric View Post
Interesting, I've not heard of that before.
Another aviation related 'google shopping' search is in order for tonight I think

Thanks.
Don't use graphite lube. Graphite and Aluminum don't get along. The brake castings are Aluminum (as well as the primary structure of the rest of the airplane).

That's why many shops don't allow pencils in their shops or at a minimum in the sheet metal areas. If someone were to make a pencil line on an Aluminum sheet the grarphite could etch away the aluminum over the years resulting in a detectible score line or even a crack. Every military spec for dry film lubricants prohibits the use of graphite. Imagine being an aircraft structural design engineer tasked with assembling graphite carbon fiber wings or tail to an aluminum fuselage. Not only do the materials hate each other (opposite ends of the galvanic chart) but one has a positive coefficient of resistivity and the other a negative coefficient of resistivity. And one shrinks and swells with temperature while the other stays stiff and firm. One flight from a hot tropical airport to 30,000 feet with lightning about makes all-metal aircraft look wonderful.

Back to the brakes. Instead of graphite dry lube consider a Teflon or silicon dry lube. Like PB Blaster TFE, Dry film lube Silicon or even my current favorite, NanoPro M/T military-spec grade dry lube based on nano technology - - available at Autozone.

Jim
Old 02-26-2017, 09:58 AM

Default Don't use graphite lube? Graphite and Aluminum don't get along.

Hello Jim (jliltd) -
You stated above in this thread "Don't use graphite lube. Graphite and Aluminum don't get along......" OOPS - I didn't know that.

I used Permatex 80078 Aluminum Anti-Seize (which contains graphite) on some of my 6/32 and 8/32 stainless steel fasteners on my inspection covers to prevent galling. Sounds like this was a bad idea - because the graphite in it will attack the aluminum covers??? If so - sounds like I better be cleaning it off - somehow.....

I learn something here every day. Thank you, all - for your knowledge sharing.
2016 VAF dues Paid
Old 02-26-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthrew View Post
I used Permatex 80078 Aluminum Anti-Seize (which contains graphite) on some of my 6/32 and 8/32 stainless steel fasteners on my inspection covers to prevent galling.
I'm replacing the stainless screws on mine with cad plated steel. The stainless screw heads are like butter and I got tired of them getting chewed up. I use either a little dab of Boelube (stick, not paste which gets messy at anything above room temperature) or beeswax on the threads... not much, just a bit.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 02-27-2017, 12:11 PM

Here is what MATCO Mfg told me about their brake guide pins (as used on the RV-12): "The sleeve is stainless and the bushing is brass. No lubricant is generally used. If you do, we recommend a dry graphite powder like you use in a lock so as not to draw contaminants to the site."
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 560+ hours (as of Oct 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.

Last edited by DHeal : 02-27-2017 at 12:22 PM.