- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2015, 11:53 AM

Default Starter

Just spoke with SkyTec, they received my starter , they scrapped it .
Said the starter was defective and have sent me a new one .
If you have an issue with your starter ,might consider sending it in or send some photos to them as it looks like they acknowledge a problem
N 666 TA / serial #999
Airworthiness Certificate issued 12/15/2014
First Flight 2-3-2015 🚀
2014 donation paid
Old 10-31-2015, 04:12 PM

Default mine's OK after 6 years

As a result of this thread, I went right out to the airport, pulled the cowl, and inspected my NL style SkyTec starter. Its fine. Screws are tight, case is tight.

My starter is 6 years old, with 350 hrs.

Looking at the screws that hold the case together, they are threaded into the mating case, with quite a deep thread engagement. Enough so that even though normal custom would be to use a coarse thread, there is so much thread engagement that I can not imagine that thread failing. The screws look like 8-32, but I didn't measure. That is a moderately coarse thread. So it looks like the design is sound to me -- I wonder if they have changed the design on newer versions, or if the problem is in torque retention.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 420 in 7 years
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
Old 11-03-2015, 04:29 PM

Default Fretting

recieved this from SkyTec , I asked what was different about my new starter ,

We changed the type of thread lock compound used on the bolts that hold the starter together and also our torque and locking tab procedures.
You may periodically spray LPS on the pinion gear to prevent corrosion, but we donít recommend any other maintenance as the starter is sealed.
N 666 TA / serial #999
First Flight 2-3-2015 🚀
2014 donation paid
Old 01-21-2017, 09:30 PM

Default Starter

I'm now sending in the starter for warranty again , same issue .
N 666 TA / serial #999
First Flight 2-3-2015 🚀
2014 donation paid
Old 01-22-2017, 07:05 AM

Typically, in highly loaded fasteners a tab makes the joint force retention worse. The required material to allow bending the tab, without failure, renders it soft, then it yields in loading. This is worse for shorter fasteners. It also reduces the applied torque to the fastener relative to the installation torque as it smears under shear load. Surely ST should know all of this, but maybe not. I learned it from 30 yrs of knowledge X 4000 engineers of history. Top fastener companies know this stuff very very well.

Factoid: Large diesel engines use hydraulic cylinders to stretch the head studs (all at once), then take a 1/4 dowel rod and turn the nut/sleeve down snug before releasing the stretch force.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:20 AM

Just a data point, I was performing my annual and noticed I had some small fretting/grease on the bottom of the starter, so I bent back the tabs and tightened the case bolts - well, I should say I tried to tighten. Once took a couple of partial swings of the socket wrench. The other, well, apparently took too many.

These bolts are pretty small #8 bolts and apparently they don't have much sheer strength as I wound up snapping the bold head off. So I had to remove my starter and am working to get ahold of SkyTec to return it for repair.

So diligence with inspecting is key as is keeping the housing snug. But be VERY careful of any torque you are putting on these bolts.

Flying - AKA Still Tinkering
Build Project Site

Last edited by CharlieWaffles : 02-06-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:44 AM

Default You probably did not over torque the bolt, it was already failed.

What grade fastener is that? Your finding might be a clue to the issue, the bolt is yielding. I have had this happen, loose bolt, thought it was for another reason, retorqued, then happened again. Third time during retorque the bolt failed at the top thread. Replaced the bolt, never occurred again. It happens.

Not claiming this is the root cause, but is among the possibilities.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:58 PM

I was able to get my starter sent in and even though it was first installed over 3 years ago, they replaced it under warranty at no cost. I noticed they have made a few changes - see photos below. The bent tabs appear to have been replaced by internal teeth style lock washers. In addition, there appears to be a rubber gasket between the housing sections - where the fretting has been reported.

Flying - AKA Still Tinkering
Build Project Site