- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv9builder View Post
Is this the reason you canít use a combination pitot tube/AOA probe similar to the Dynon combo unit, but have it pass through the spinner like the regular RV-12 pitot tube?
No

The spinner pitot was chosen as a way to avoid the potential failure mode of an interconnect in the pitot line for the removable wings.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 02-06-2017, 01:38 PM

Plus it lets you do this:

Keeps your pitot (and shirt sleeves) protected, and your tow bar handle off the floor.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 02-10-2017, 01:35 PM

Default "Almost" Easy Peezy

I did the AOA mod a week ago and it does take about 6 hours for kit number 161. Newer kits might be easier. While the pictures are not adjacent to the work step the directions work fine.
N63KD O-360/CS RV-9A - SOLD
RV-12 - First engine run complete
Old 02-18-2017, 07:11 PM

The eye dropper bulb from Rogaine makes a great pitot cover if you pierce it with a cable tie to attach a Remove Before Flight flag from one of those novelty keychains --- have to say I got more use out of the eye dropper bulb than the Rogaine!😜
Old 02-20-2017, 09:08 AM

Default Question on the connect/disconnect for Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
About 90% of those install instructions involve installing the AOA line in the wing root so it will disconnect and re-connect when the wings are removed and re-installed. That's RV-12 specific. I just used a quarter-turn quick disconnect fitting, so there's an extra step to removing and re-installing my wings. Since that's a two-person job anyway, it's not a lot of extra hassle.
I ordered the AOA kit and will install it when I get in the right mood for doing all the panel removal, etc. Reading the instructions, a few things are confusing:

First, (minor point) I think it would be handy to having a nice drawing of just where the AOA port should be drilled in the wing, rather than the photograph. The full-color from the web page helps, but the black and white printed version is difficult to understand.

Second, I'm curious about the operation of the connection at the wing root--the quick connects grab the 1/4" tube when you insert them--but how does it release, without getting your fingers in there to push back the release sleeve on the connector? Does that O-ring somehow get involved in enabling the release? I live in fear of inserting the wings and not be able to pull it apart?
RV-12 #332
N73HR Now flying!
Austin, TX
Old 02-20-2017, 09:13 AM

Rob,
The kit comes with a screw on cap that keeps the release depressed so the AOA tube can be retracted with the wing.

Mitch
Old 02-21-2017, 10:29 AM

Default tubing routing

In a retrofit, how are you pulling the PT 1/8 tubing in the J-channel from the stall warning bay to the wing root rib?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:52 AM

OK, How did you "reach in and feed it past each rib" my arms aren't that long?
Old 02-21-2017, 12:04 PM

Default tubing routing

With the wing upside down on a bench, I threaded a stiff wire from the wing root thru the J-channel to the AOA port bay. Attached the tube to the wire and pulled it back thru to the wing root end per instructions. The wire I used looks like safety wire but is much stiffer and approx .04" diameter, maybe more. (can't measure it now) Safety wire is not stiff enough. It may be what's called piano wire. Try a search at Amazon.

To attach the wire to the tube, I made a loop and a half (540 degrees) a little larger than the tube diameter and stuffed it into the tube. The end of the wire acted like a barb and gripped the inside of the tube. Very positive grip, had to cut the tube to get it out.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:29 PM

Default #30 long drill

I simply slid a 12" #30 drill into one end of the plastic tubing and masking taped them together. Other than that it was simply long arms moving the tubing through the channel. Eazy Peazy.
N63KD O-360/CS RV-9A - SOLD
RV-12 - First engine run complete