- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-3
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2015, 03:43 PM

Default No rivets near the HS-309

Building the main spar of the HS, the manual says to drill the two reinforcing flange strips, HS-307 to the HS-303. Donīt set any rivets in the area where the two vertical bars one day will attach the HS to the fuselage.

Peter

Old 04-05-2015, 06:27 PM

Default Aileron Ribs A304

These fit nicely into the A302 aileron spars and seem to have the correct taper. However, when this assembly (spar and the two end ribs, all clamped together) is inserted into the skin, once the assembly is located for best fit, the spar is about 1/4" forward of its correct location.

My first thought was that this might make fitting the flap somewhat easier. But there's not enough edge distance for the bottom skin on the spar; I'm going to have to do some surgery on the ribs to get the spar to the proper location. I haven't decided if that means reforming the ribs, changing the forward flange (the one the spar attaches to) or something else.

Edit - Turns out that the taper was off a bit. The aft end is too wide. When I fixed that the spar was in the right position.

Also, initially, it looked as if the ribs were a tad too deep in the front and were pushing the spar flanges out a bit. That, though, was merely the vinyl. When I removed it from the ribs and the spar at the ends, the ribs fit much better. Vinyl isn't very thick but it does have some thickness, something around .0025 inches, more or less, and it adds up.

Dave
RV-3 - If you're done thinking and ready to drill... that means you're not done thinking.

Last edited by David Paule : 04-11-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:33 AM

Default Control Bearings

To save some confusion later on, suggest write on your plans the 'Bearing Types'. The plans sometimes omit this, or use an outdated part type - the packing lists do make it clear. The male bearings are:
  • Elevators: 2x MD3614M each
  • Rudder: MD3614M (top) MD3616M (bottom - longer bearing)
  • Aileron Pushrods (large ones): 2x MD3614M each
  • Elevator Pushrod (large one): 2x MD3616M (longer bearing)
RV8tors
Old 05-17-2015, 08:45 PM

Default Aileron Assembly Sequence

Here are two tips, learned the hard way:

1. Drill, dimple and rivet the stiffeners to the skins BEFORE tightening the trailing edge bend. The layout provides dimensions which are okay for this.

2. Drill and rivet the pipe counterbalance to the nose ribs BEFORE riveting the nose ribs to the spar.

Dave
Old 09-09-2015, 08:23 PM

Default Examine Those Aileron Nose Ribs

Looks like Van's has a bad bunch of them. They arrive poorly formed and sometimes cracked at the middle of the forward flange. Here's an example:

The last aileron I ordered had one bad one. These are part number A-303 L or R.

Dave
Old 02-20-2016, 12:09 PM

Default Wing Inspection Holes - Inboard

Here's what I wish I'd done for the inspection holes on the bottom of the wings on my RV-3B. The plans shows the single inboard inspection hole, which I X'd out with a red X.

Instead, if we skip that one and put in two, one on each of the adjacent rib bays like I've shown in green, we'd have much better access to both riveting on that bottom skin and removing or reinstalling the tanks some day.

If that photo's gone away try this alternate hosting site.

If you DON'T make this change, then at least reverse the flange direction on the rib to the outboard (left in the photo) side of the inspection hole, to make it easier to rivet. Change the W-339L to W-339R.

Dave

Last edited by David Paule : 02-20-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:09 AM

Default Inboard End of Spar

There are a couple things to do at the inboard ends of the main wing spars, in the blue box in the photo:

Hint: It's a lot easier to do these before assembling the spar into the wing frame. Do these first. They won't interfere with any work down the road.

(If the photo doesn't show up try this alternate link.

Dave
Old 07-17-2016, 02:15 PM

Default Longeron Clamps on SK-42

I made the vertical leg of my longeron clamps 1/2" per SK-42. Here's SK-42 so you can see this.

On the F-305 seat bulkhead, it looks like a .090 shim will do the trick. When I clamped the longeron, I realized that I couldn't get the longeron to touch the jig; there's a bit of a gap there at the outboard corner. In this photo you can't see the gap, but you can see the clamp being in face-to-face contact with the longeron.

I recommend that the 3/8 to 1/2 inch dimension be increased to 1/2 to 5/8 inch.

Photos are also hosted here and here.

Dave
Old 11-06-2016, 05:28 PM

Default Tailspring Mount Geometry to F-311 Bulkhead

I'm in the middle of attaching the tailspring mount to the aft two bulkheads. This is the geometry that I'm using at the F-311 bulkhead. The dimensions came from drawings 16, 26 and 28.

Dave

Last edited by David Paule : 11-07-2016 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Added label to graphic
Old 02-20-2017, 10:01 AM

Default F-315 Seat Bulkhead Sequence

I figured I'd better add a few notes to the discussion on my VAF blog about riveting the F-315 seat rib to the F-303 spar bulkhead since not everyone will see that.

I think that the best way to do this is to rivet the rivets shown in the red oval while the aft bulkhead is still separate from the forward one. At this point it's a simple matter of back-riveting the joint, and the seat rib can be bent away for clearance. The bulkhead won't be drilled for the F-303F splice strip or the F-303E side plates yet.

After this, the bulkheads can be joined with the F-303F splice strip, but the F-303E side plates ought to await having the bulkhead on the jig with the longerons. Then the side plates can be drilled through the F-315 seat ribs webs at the blue oval. Once that's done, the seat ribs can be formed so that the ribs have a joggle around the side plates by using a flange fluting tool.

I failed to do that and went ahead and riveted the F-303F splice strip on too early. This was handy for jigging up the bulkheads and the longerons. When I wanted to rivet the F-315 seat ribs to the bulkhead, I discovered that it was going to be difficult. You can read about that in post #306.

I followed this sequence for the overall seat rib installation:

1. Uncleco and remove the F-315 seat ribs.

2. Uncleco and remove the F-303E side plates.

3. Countersink the end plates.

4. Uncleco and remove the F-313 center seat rib.

5. Uncleco and remove the F-304 bulkhead.

6. Uncleco and remove the F-314 seat ribs.

7. Rivet the F-304 bulkhead to the F-313 center seat rib.

8. Cleco the F-304 bulkhead to the F-305 seat bulkhead.

9. Rivet the F-304 bulkhead to the F-305 seat bulkhead.

10. Cleco the F-314 seat ribs in place.

11. Rivet the mixer brackets to the F-314 seat ribs. In my case, some of those rivets also went through the F-304 bulkhead or the flanges already riveted to the F-303 aft bulkhead, and I left these unriveted for this step.

12. Rivet the F-304 bulkhead to the F-314 seat ribs, including the mixer brackets.

13. Rivet the F-314 seat ribs to the F-303 aft spar bulkhead, including the mixer brackets. For some reason this was harder than I expected, due to the various other parts in the area interfering with it.

14. Rivet the F-314 seat ribs to the F-305 seat bulkhead.

15. Rivet the F-315 outer seat ribs to the F-303 aft bulkhead.

16. Rivet the F-303E side plates to the F-303 spar bulkhead and the F-315 seat ribs.