What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyBeacon from uAvionix

nomocom

Well Known Member
Left nav light is GPS, transponder sniffer, and UAT out (and LED position light).

Right nav light includes 1090 and 978 receiver to share wirelessly to cockpit.

Very innovative. IMO, and depending on pricing, this will be the big seller to those that have held off on equiping.

These compact GA ADS-B units are made possible by uAvionics R&D. Must do small and light for the drone market.

https://www.uavionix.com/news/uavio...e-first-near-zero-install-ads-b-out-solution/

I'm sold. At under $2k, you can't find a cheaper and easier solution.

Rebate timing

The timing would be a challenge when delivery at best is early next year. The sign ups end later this month, so 90 days from then to install and another 60 days to fly the test. That assumes the FAA would accept equipment into the rebate program this month that is in the approval process.

Perhaps someone has had a install that took longer than planned or had trouble getting a validation could comment on if there is any flex in the system.

For me, the rebate would be nice, but not a deciding factor. More important is the ability to hang on to some privacy with anonymous 1200 operation, ease of install, size, how well it integrates with existing equipment, and value. For me the SkyBeacon is the first solution I've seen that knocks it out of the park.

Tebate

Only certified equipment is eligible for the rebate.
Uavionix is currently non certified, although legal for experimental market.
Probably won't be out before the rebate program ends anyway.
Dave
N601XP ELSA

I agree, it knocks it out of the park as long as a in & out solution (2x beacons - left/right) is under $2k.

uAvionics TSO ?

The SkyBeacon is intended for certified aircraft also, so I'd think the TSO is in progress, but as discussed, the timing likely will not work with the rebate deadline later this month.

EASY

John,
Thanks for posting your link. When you have enough flying time to share some experiences, good or bad, love to hear them!

Back