What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 seats, etc?

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
It is almost time to order my seats, etc. I expect to order the highest quality padding for our seat bottoms and backs as we plan some pretty long legs and extended trips. I think that I want leather with cloth inserts. Is this a good idea?

Beyond that, I would like to hear from you all about such items as side panel linings, side pockets, flooring, etc. Do the additional side and rear panels help to reduce noise inside of the cockpit or do they just look good? I had some side pockets in my old Ford truck that became 'expanded' and looked pretty bad. I'd like to avoid this in my 12 so, are zippers a viable solution for sagging side pockets? How many side pockets are useful?

I will purchase my interior from Flightline Interiors.

Any other ideas or recommendations that you all may have are appreciated - thanks.

I can't say much about noise reduction. The side panels and baggage carpet probably help, but a good headset helps more.

I'm no lightweight, and 3 hour legs in the standard seats are not a problem for me. Trust me, if there were shortcomings in the padding I'd know it and I'd say so. I bought this plane already flying, so I'm not overly sensitive about calling out problems. :) Fortunately there are not many. The "memory" foam or viscoelastic stuff doesn't work very well for me... if you're under 200# or so it's probably better.

I have the side panels with two pockets per side. I do find them very useful for my cell phone, wallet, checklists and sunglasses. One on the pax side has lost its elastic and is "expanded", as you say - I'm not sure if that can be fixed or not.

Abby has been great to deal with as far as getting replacement bits. My baggage carpet was gasoline soaked when I bought the plane, and even though they don't use the same color any more she had a new carpet for me with little delay and at a fair price.

The delivery of my seats were delayed so I had to call Abbey and since my seats were made yet I had options. She told me about the use of temperfoam in the seat cushions section and I paid an extra cost to have it done. Also had temperfoam in my 6 and have liked it. You can also work with Abbey color, panel, and material changes for a $$.

I agree with the best noise reduction is to invest in a good headset. I use the side pockets with the elastic from flightline. No problem with sagging but I don't have a lot of stuff jammed in them.

This is a finish part you can do some customization with the seats and pockets so take some time and make it yours. You'll enjoy it more down the road. Good luck.

I like my standard seats, but in the Phoenix summer I find it more comfortable to pull a beach towel over the seat rather than sitting directly on the vinyl.

A complete re-design might be available

I have built two twelves and one of the things I really disliked on the first one were the seats. I sketched out a design with a number of changes, including a seat back that is longer and has a lumbar support. The seat bottom is also a bit longer and the front of the seat is curved instead of being straight. I sent this info to the lovely and gracious Abby and was returned a beautiful and very comfortable set of seats that my wife and I are very fond of. I have several ruptured discs in my lower back and have found these seats to be very comfortable. I had them made from leather hides and they match the side panels. I call them the Ricardo Montalban Edition. Last winter I took one of the seats to Maine and installed it in the Governor's 12, so needless to say, the Chief Executive of Maine now sports a set in his 12. Did I mention that they were expensive? Yes, they were. I paid Abbey for her design and programming time so you won't have to do that as long as you like them the way they are. This money was well spent and she is an absolute sweetheart to deal with. With these seats installed, the airplane's interior takes on a completely different look. Just something to consider.
BTW, I did not use the memory foam as the seats were getting pretty expensive without it. I am 220 lbs., Wifey is 120 lbs. and we both are very satisfied.

Last edited:
Farmers seat design in N25DV

Dave,

Do you have a picture of the seats you can post?

Thanks,

Farmers design, as requested a photo of my seats I replace last spring.

seats.jpg

I have the standard cushions and no issues. I also use a cut down wedge so the seat is not as tall. Abby also included a lumbar support, they are comfortable!

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks to all who answered - I appreciate the help. We are talking to Abby about options, etc. Thanks again, E Eliot

Dave's Corinthian Leather seats.
Dave asked me to post these images
photo1476378259270.jpg

photo1476378259540.jpg

and Farmers in Blue

seats.jpg

Wow those are seat designs I can get behind! This design sure looks modern! Now for the side panels.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:
Back