What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Strobe wire cable

Captain_John

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to pull in some wires and was wondering...

Should I substitute the cheesy strobe wire cable that came with my Strobes n' more kit with some real airplane MS27500 multi conductor 16 AWG cable instead?

The 27500 will be smaller in the bundle. I am also wondering if it will be elecronically quieter as well?

I know that the MS stuff is better for many reasons, but what about the dielectric strength with respect to the high voltage nature of the strobe circuits?

What are your thoughts?

:cool: CJ

This is the stuff that comes with the kit...

wire.jpg

It just doesn't look aviation grade to me!

Either way...

SHOULD you or COULD you? Sure, you can, but it's not absolutely necessary. The wire that comes with the Whelen units (assuming that's what you're using) has worked flawlessly for years. Larger aircraft use the M27500.

Just make sure you ground per the instructions....if I remember, just at the power supply end.

That wire that came with your strobes n more or Whelen lights is PVC coated. The mil speck wire is tefzel. I just replaced my PVC cable when I changed my lights to the LED variety from AeroLed. Cable lengths were different, eliminating the power supply. I used 20 awg tefzel cable (from Stein) as spelled out in the instructions from AeroLed. I don't think it made any difference, but it is definitely much smaller in diameter.

I used the cables that came with the strobes n more kit. No problems with wear of the cables or noise in 4 years or 125 hours. Just one point of reference.

Hmmmm...

Thanks guys!

I am just going to use the grey PVC stuff that they supplied with the kit. Seems like it will work fine and I already have it on the shelf.

Nuttin' to it but ta do it!

Back