What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Molex female pin removal?

tkatc

Well Known Member
Pulled my damaged rudder off today but I cannot remove it completely from the airplane until I remove this molex connector.
test.png

This is the female half of the rear whelen strobe. I looked inside the holes but cannot locate any "tabs" to bend in like the ones found on the male end. Am I missing something?
test.png

Perhaps I could just snip the 3 wires and use a butt connector but I would rather not.

Tony, if the wire is long enough on both ends, just cut off the connector and replace it when you do the reassembly.

There are several tool choices. I picked up a "universal tool" (Lisle terminal tool) for less than $10 at Amazon.

The tool

I have to say I didn't find it very easy to remove the pins even with the correct tool, so not sure how I would go about it without it. Probably snip it and re-wire the strobe - that would be my choice.

You could distroy the nylon body of the connector, carefully saving the metal terminal inserts and then slide them into a new body obtained from Radio Shaft (assuming they carry AMP). Worst case is an order to the likes of Allied Elec.

Obviously a bit of work, so Glen may have the best idea. (cut it off and replace)

pin removal

I would try the Radio Shack first and get the pin extraction tool. I used them a lot at work. With the right tool, they pop right out. A piece of tubing the right size would work well too. It has to barely clear the connector to compress the two tabs. You could also cut the connector with a dremel tool and get another later.

Thanks all. I got the extraction tool from radio shack and with a bit of confidence from this forum was able to manipulate the pins from the connector even though the radio shack tool is the wrong size...too big.

I have that tool and it does a poor job of removing the the pins. This is the tool you are looking for.

slt-01.jpg

That's the tool I got from radio shack but it seems to be too big to compress the tabs. A slightly tighter orifice would have done a better job! :D

Tony - Not that it is time sensitive now, but next time you are down, I'll show you the Linle tool. Plus you can get a shopping list for the other wiring tools you'll need :)

Back