What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14 Dimple Die Set

Jskyking

Well Known Member
I?m gathering my tools in advance of beginning my R14 build. I?m purchasing a DDRT-2 next week and would like to get a list of the required Dimple Dies. Any information is greatly appreciated. Jt

And don't forget one narrow diameter #40 dimple die. You'll need that for some of the nutplate dimpling.

Pull chapter 3 down from Vans website. I?m pretty sure they list all the dies with the exception maybe of the 120-Deg one. I studied that list a lot early on.

You will need a similar list for counter sinks - the 120? reminded me as countersink holes are even less forgiving. CS4 pulled rivets are 120?.

I got all my dimple dies from Cleaveland Aircraft Tool in their RV tool kit. I'll break it down to required and optional.

Required:
3/32" standard die set
1/8" standard die set
#6 screw die set
#8 screw die set

Optional:
3/32" close quarters die set (HIGHLY recommended! There are some tight areas where this is very useful)
3/32" modified male dimple (for tight areas)
3/32" small diameter female die (similar to modified male die for tight areas like flanges)
3/32" substructure dimple die set (dimples 0.011" deeper than the standard die for better fit of skin dimples in the ribs, spars, etc.)
3/32" fuel tank dimple die set (dimples 0.007" deeper than the standard die on the fuel tank skins to allow for wet install of fasteners with sealant without need for rivet shaving)
Tight fit dimpling fixture (I haven't used mine yet so maybe not worth it)

All of these dies are spring back dies and I can attest to the high quality of dimples these produce. I also use the DRDT-2 press dimpler and I get no distortion around the dimples. Make sure you follow the setup instructions properly and you'll be very happy with your dimples.

Last edited:
Search ?Dimple comparison? by Tom Martin before using/purchasing the sub structure die. IMO the larger resulting hole dia. is not worth any nesting benefits.

Back