What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beringer Bolts

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I see in the Beringer sheet for the main wheels to use on each side 3 AN4-21A and 1 AN4-16.

The following close tolerance bolts are same size:
AN4-16 -> AN6604-21
AN4-21 -> AN6604-27

The drawing from Vans shows AN1304-29, which should be a little longer than both of these. AN6604 superseded AN1304 so they are the same thing.

So if you have installed this... Did your install have the Vans bolts too long or too short? Anyone get these close tolerance bolts?

What did you use for the fourth bolt on each side? How did you end up with a bolt so much longer than the callout in the Beringer plans?

It may vary between an RV-14 and an RV-14A, but I needed longer bolts than Beringer specified for an RV-14A. I can't remember, but I think I used AN4-21s and -23s instead of -16s and -21s to have enough thread exposed. The Beringer instructions do not account for the wheel pant brackets.

Ok gotcha. I'm a 14A I should be more specific huh? I'll go with what you did... didn't think about the pants.
Is it when you add U-00003 that the extra length comes in?

Last edited:
Is it when you add U-00003 that the extra length comes in?

Yes. You will also have to reverse the axles (L to R) and reposition the bleed screws if you want to mount the calipers on the aft side of the axles.

I see in the Beringer sheet for the main wheels to use on each side 3 AN4-21A and 1 AN4-16.

The following close tolerance bolts are same size:
AN4-16 -> AN6604-21
AN4-21 -> AN6604-27

The drawing from Vans shows AN1304-29, which should be a little longer than both of these. AN6604 superseded AN1304 so they are the same thing.

So if you have installed this... Did your install have the Vans bolts too long or too short? Anyone get these close tolerance bolts?

I change them for close tolerance bolts :

- NAS6604-28
- NAS6604-34

ordered to Military Fasteners (but certainly you will find others suppliers).

With Van's bolts

2saj9sh.jpg

Last edited:
Tonight I went to assemble with the close tolerance bolts and there is interference where the red anodized portion of the main caliper comes against the silver colored hub. The bolts won?t pass through the holes fully. They will start on either side but not go through. Did anyone have this problem? Does unboltingbthe caliper permit an adjustment to line it up?

Danger Will Robinson! I had the same problem, and thought it would be easy to unbolt the axle and align it. The bolts have very shallow allen wrench holes and are fixed in place with super Loctite and I stripped one of them. The bolts were not available in the US and Carla Panetta of Beringer US had to order them for me from France. Carla was very understanding and helpful, but with overseas shipping delays and our own efficient post office, it took almost two weeks to get replacements. As it turned out, after I had already stripped my bolt, Beringer said there was sufficient material in the calipers to just drill through from the axle side. Unless your axle and caliper holes are really misaligned, I would just drill them and carry-on.

Last edited:
Did you redrill yours? I loosened those hex screws too but it diesnt line up even then. I tightened them back up and one wants to strip but I got it there without that. I found that an4 bolts will pass so the option is drill or use an4. Better I suppose is a 0.250 reamer if I drill instead of a 1/4 bit.

An4 bolt and no drilling seems safer.

Please do me a favor and send me the part number and contact info to order those little screws from France. Eventually I'll want to do something there and would want the parts in hand. Is it a special size metric hex too?

From the Beringer Installation and Maintenance Manual - V-FHC-007. They are metric Allen screws, 4mm. Just call Carla Panetta, the US business manager in Greenville, SC (864) 214-4274

Back