- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConner View Post
Sounds like it would be exposed to a lot of heat, might just live with the high reading for the brief time I run the boost pump.
So to piggyback on what Vic said, mine has worked without issue for 231 hrs—time will tell. Mine is covered in a large firesleeve and I suspect that between that and the fuel flowing through it that the temps are tolerable. The accuracy is phenomenal—about a tenth of a gallon based upon fuel flow tests and real world comparison of data at fill ups.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 06-11-2018, 07:13 AM

Vic or Todd (or anyone who'd like to jump in),

Can you be more specific about the heat shield on the flow sensor? A picture sure would help.

Thanks.

Jeff
In the garage for now, KJVY this summer...this fall...whenever they finish building the hangar
Old 06-11-2018, 07:24 AM

Sorry, no pics handy, but mine is just a large length of silicone firesleeve about 10-12” in length and has a big enough diameter to slip over the cube. Got it from Aircraft Spruce
WAR EAGLE!
Old 06-11-2018, 08:00 AM

You can buy a piece of sleeve from ACS if you search for:
FUEL TRANSDUCER COVER FIRESLEEVE BLACK

Or
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ickkey=1785576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightdawg View Post
Vic or Todd (or anyone who'd like to jump in),

Can you be more specific about the heat shield on the flow sensor? A picture sure would help.

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 06-11-2018, 08:13 AM

Default Heat and transducer

After my first FWF red cube failed, I relocated it to a cooler spot and wrapped it with self adheasive aluminized material I purchased at the auto parts store in the exhaust wrap area. Just cut and applied it overlapping pieces until it was covered completely.
I like the reflective qualities over the fire sleeving material plus it is adhesive backed and thinner.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 06-12-2018, 09:35 AM

Default Another example

The instructions also state to mount it somewhere other than the engine. The engine vibration causes quicker fatigue on the internal parts. I got about 850 hours on mine until it quit working. Mine has had the firesleeve on it from the start.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:51 AM

I've been using Red Cube's with the MGL iEFIS system. I have 3 installed, 2 inside the cockpit and 1 behind the baffling (firewall side). I have never had a problem with the 2 inside but constantly have a problem with the one under the cowl. I've replaced the Red Cube 3 times and replaced the RDAC twice. Runs intermittent during fights. Sometimes worse than other times. I've done everything but add a heat shield around it since it's not on the hot side of the baffle, between the servo and spider... BUT... I think I'm going to give the heat shield a try, see if that makes a difference. I monitor the temps at the firewall, they run around 140F, doesn't seem that hot for a Red Cube...
Old 06-12-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasGlas View Post
I monitor the temps at the firewall, they run around 140F, doesn't seem that hot for a Red Cube...
Have you looked at the temperature, say, 10 minutes after shutdown? With only convective airflow, and no fuel flow, I wonder if the temperature peaks some time after shutdown?
Old 06-12-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Have you looked at the temperature, say, 10 minutes after shutdown? With only convective airflow, and no fuel flow, I wonder if the temperature peaks some time after shutdown?
Yes, when the heat propagates the whole area it will get over 160F on the firewall side. I haven't monitored the cylinder side but I'll guess it's closer to 250F + after shutdown. BTW, this is in my Lancair, not my Staggerwing.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:07 AM

Default It quit working again

I started this conversation when my fuel flow sensor quit. Fixed it (about reply #6) by flowing a lot of fuel thru it. But now it has quit working again. The trouble shooting begins anew. Will post whatever findings.
Build #41389, started Oct 2012
Current status: 1st Flight 11/10/17