- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001001 View Post
Pulsation in the flow causing the Hall effect sensor to register double when the impeller reverses briefly?
Not brief, stays high until the pump is turned off.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Default Heat protection is needed on the red cube.

If it is in the engine compartment and not wrapped with some heat protection they will eventually fail. Tend to work fine when cool, but will fail in flight.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 06-09-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConner View Post
Not brief, stays high until the pump is turned off.
No, I mean the impeller reverses briefly during flow pulses, causing the sensor to count two impulses rather than one when the impeller blade passes it, once in the forward direction, and then briefly in the reverse direction. The sensor can't tell the flow direction, the flow is simply calculated proportionally to the number of blade passes.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
If it is in the engine compartment and not wrapped with some heat protection they will eventually fail. Tend to work fine when cool, but will fail in flight.

Vic
I have always wondered why one would put the sensor in the engine compartment as opposed to the tunnel or similar place. Is there a benefit to doing this that I'm missing?
Old 06-09-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001001 View Post
I have always wondered why one would put the sensor in the engine compartment as opposed to the tunnel or similar place. Is there a benefit to doing this that I'm missing?
A number of folks early on reported variations in reported fuel flow at the stock location depending if the boost pump was on or off. As a result, it became common to mount it FWF and down stream of the mech fuel pump.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 06-09-2018, 05:46 PM

Default My experience - -

I have the Flow-Scan. I called the factory, and a great guy said to : " Take it out and put Carb cleaner in it and shake it for a minute, then wash it out with gas or another fluid " It worked. I had it happen again within the last 2 months. Did the same thing again, and it works again. I think a tiny piece of something gets into the very sensitive bearings and slows it down, or stops it.
Flying RV-12 - Serial #120036
Paid in May ( 5-4-18 )
Old 06-10-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
A number of folks early on reported variations in reported fuel flow at the stock location depending if the boost pump was on or off. As a result, it became common to mount it FWF and down stream of the mech fuel pump.
Sounds like it would be exposed to a lot of heat, might just live with the high reading for the brief time I run the boost pump.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConner View Post
Sounds like it would be exposed to a lot of heat, might just live with the high reading for the brief time I run the boost pump.
That’s what I do. Per plans location; it shows 1 gal/hr higher with the boost pump on during takeoff. This means the fuel totalizer function is slightly conservative, e.g., if it shows 10 gal remaining, there’s actually slightly more.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Default Better accuracy

Sorry, late on the response. But, as it's been pointed out, it does give better accuracy when mounted after the engine-driven pump, which of course places it in the hot engine compartment.
However, wrapping the sensor with some heat protective barrier, seems to work quite well.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 06-11-2018, 05:48 AM

I literally just mounted my red cube yesterday. The instructions say to put it after the last fuel pump, which except for efii, thats the mech pump. I talked to a few people and decided to put it after the gascolator and boost pump which in my case are both inside the cabin, so the cube is inside the cabin as well. I blew past some of the info but pretty sure it said its jeweled bearings, which like swiss watches that means industrial rubies and pin-point axes (plural of axis)....
N251Y (res)
Dec2017