What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Key Switch

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Having trouble finding a simple on-off flat key switch. Purchased what I thought was exactly what I wanted from Digikey but the switch has no detent holding the key in each position. You can blow on it and move it. I want this key switch to activate my master solenoid switch. I'm looking for a two position SPST on -off switch. Any ideas , P/N ?
Thanks Ron

I got one from a marina meant for a personal watercraft (SeaDoo or similar). Sorry no part number. It was much more robust than one I ordered online and came with a water resistant cover which I did not install... 500 hrs as a keyed master, so far so good...

I used a Hobbs double pole-single throw key switch 24M952 available at Grainger. It has 3 terminals for each pole Normal Open or Close as desired. I wired the master on one pole and alt. field on the other with a pull breaker on the alt. field next to the key switch. It?s worked great since 2011. The P-mags are controlled with toggles. Once the key is removed, it can?t be started without the key or tools, IF you can get in.

Most auto parts stores stock a generic ignition switch. Here is one from Autozone, not sure if it has the positions you want:

Last edited:
Look at the Hobbs switch above it works really well and it can shut the whole plane down including the alternator field. Bob

Is this type of key switch appropriate for use in preventing starter activation? I imagine putting it in between the Master Switch and Starter Push-Button.

George

Is this type of key switch appropriate for use in preventing starter activation? I imagine putting it in between the Master Switch and Starter Push-Button.

George

Generally speaking, that's the type of purpose keyswitches were invented for, yes.

This is how I wired mine...no key in and turned to the ON position, starter will not operate (and further, the Mags cannot be ungrounded/"hot" unless the key is in and turned to the ON position).

Thanks, that's even better than how I was planning on my system being. I like the "hot mag" lock-out.
I assume the mags are grounded (safe) regardless of mag switch position in your system?

George

Thanks, that's even better than how I was planning on my system being. I like the "hot mag" lock-out.
I assume the mags are grounded (safe) regardless of mag switch position in your system?

George

That's correct. I can send you the schematic if you'd like. It requires a DPDT keyswitch.

Back