Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2016, 12:59 PM

There are "tank dies" that dimple a few thousandths deeper to accommodate the sealant.

Construction Log
Picasa: Empennage Album, Wings Album, Fuselage Album

1955 Cessna 170B flying since 1982

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' -Unk.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:27 PM

Good call on priming the Z brackets now, given access to the back of the bracket will be difficult later. I think what I'll do is just tape off the surface to be fay sealed, hit up the rest of it, then peel off the tape afterwards. I think I'll leave the T-405 angle until I paint the exterior of the tank once it's complete.
Cheers,
Tom.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:21 AM

Good call on the tank dies also. Unfortunately that would be two weeks shipping to get here, so I'm going to drill out and reseal tomorrow the couple of proudest ones, and plough on with the the remainder as I hope to have these tanks wrapped up by the weekend. I think the next set of wings will be quick build, blisters or no blisters, as these tanks are a mountain of work. T.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:14 PM

Can someone explain the process of using a pneumatic sealer to apply the sealant? Do you have some sort of disposable cartridges you fill with proseal? How do you clean the gun? Do you shoot a uniform bead on the skin and ribs or just one side?

I still do not like the idea of using popsicle sticks to spread the sealant and am considering buying a pneumatic gun.

Thanks

RV-14 Finish Kit in Progress
EAA Chapter 343 (DTN)
Shreveport, LA
Old 10-12-2016, 06:01 AM

The "sealant gun" is similar in operation to a "calk" gun, except that the sealant gun is attached to an air hose. You fill the disposable cartridges with the sealant of your choice, load the cartridge into the gun, attach the air hose, and pull the triger.

The cartridges are available in two basic sizes, the screw on tips are separate as are the end cap plugs. These plugs are what push against the sealant to eject it out the tip.
flying
Old 10-12-2016, 11:35 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelf View Post
The "sealant gun" is similar in operation to a "calk" gun, except that the sealant gun is attached to an air hose. You fill the disposable cartridges with the sealant of your choice, load the cartridge into the gun, attach the air hose, and pull the triger.

The cartridges are available in two basic sizes, the screw on tips are separate as are the end cap plugs. These plugs are what push against the sealant to eject it out the tip.
Or buy a full cartridge in this form from AC spruce and it will fit right into the sealant gun.

I found the 3.5 oz size correct for the rear baffle on a single tank.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 10-12-2016, 11:56 AM

Default Semco Sealant Gun

Rob,

Here's my blog post about the Semco Sealant Gun. I would never build a tank without one.

http://larrys-airplane.blogspot.com/...alant-gun.html
RV-10 "in the works"
VAF Paid - Annual Autodraft
Old 10-12-2016, 01:51 PM

Default Proseal gun

Sorry, I can't resist.
Here's mine. Cheap. Yes, I actually used it and it worked. Syringes were modified by cutting off the ears and thumb loop. Once done, just toss them.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/27/2018. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:01 AM

Default MEK Alternative

Such a great thread, thanks to everyone for their thoughts and experiences.

I'm getting ready to start the tanks. I live in California, if the name sounds environmentally hazardous, they have stopped selling it.

What are some good alternatives to clean the tank before prosealing and cleaning wet proseal off areas I don't want it on?

MEK, Toluene (I think anything ...ene have been banned, including xylene and naptha) are all not for sale in CA to the general public.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:53 AM

Default Automotive wax and grease remover.

At the end of the day what you are trying to achieve is an impecably clean, mechanically etched surface to bond to. Thus, what you hope to do is remove all wax and grease deposits. So long as you let what ever solvent you are using fully evaporate after the cleaning stage, from my perspective there should be no risk of it impacting your bond. I found out that builders in Europe were using automotive wax and grease remover as they couldn't source MEK, so I gave it a try. My tanks came up great and passed the manometer pressure test with flying colors. The only reservation is that I am still a few months away from flying, so I can't give you the long term test results. Perhaps the European builders can chime in here.
Tom.