Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2019, 08:46 AM

Location: Zürich W, Switzerland, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, known Universe...
Lightbulb mods on Tailwheel - Fork - Springs

Aim of these modifications were weight loss, practicability, looks and aerodynamics…

Weight: total weight change - 334g. Ain’t a lot, but could play favorably for the CG of some -4s.
Practicability: the original Van’s fork with its almost 90° angle to forward travel is an invitation to get stuck against any kind of curb with possible dire consequences. Rejected was the nice but massive Doug Bell product on the grounds of its weight, being too wide and requiring the use of countless washers, and elevating the tail of the aircraft. Keeping the tail low was a requirement for performance reason (use of very short grass runways) and looks. Welding a triangular section in front of the fork will hopefully prevent or alleviate having the tail stuck on some obstacle, weight increase 62g.
Looks: the lightweight tailwheel from flyboyaccessories https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/Li...ire-p/1002.htm and the Lynx spring/link system https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...duct=tail-lynx are of the highest quality and really shine.
Aerodynamics: picked up a good 22Kts on the top speed. Sitting on the ground that is. The smaller frontal surface of the Lynx springs is hopefully offsetting the added drag of the new tailwheel.

DC

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
RV-6 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner
Old 04-14-2019, 09:55 AM

The fin in front makes it look complete, congrats !! The new spring system definitely looks better although functionally is there a difference?

Regarding the wheel, why did you choose another solid wheel over Flyboy's Condor combo with the 8" tube tire? You mentioned something about not lifting the tail but everything I've read from people who have installed it say it doesn't lift anything discernible, at least in the longer RV-8.

I'm wanting to replace the fork and wheel and I live on a 2500' grass runway. How short of a grass runway do you operate at?
RV-8 N52VM : Dynon D-180, GTX327, SL40, Garmin 496 GPS, AP74 Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A2N, Nickel Coated Cylinders, 2 Slick mags (both impulse coupled), engine preheater, Hartzell Plane-Power alternator, Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BFP constant speed, blended airfoil

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
You mentioned something about not lifting the tail but everything I've read from people who have installed it say it doesn't lift anything discernible, at least in the longer RV-8.
I have the Condor tail wheel and fork (and very happy with it FWIW), and my hangar mate has the standard Vans set up and wheel. Both RV-8s. I measured the difference in height and it came out to 2-5/8"
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 04-14-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dickens View Post
I have the Condor tail wheel and fork (and very happy with it FWIW), and my hangar mate has the standard Vans set up and wheel. Both RV-8s. I measured the difference in height and it came out to 2-5/8"
I'm going to measure from the top of the tail to the ground before and after to come up with my total difference since some threads here say it isn't much. You never know how much apart your two planes were before you changed yours.
RV-8 N52VM : Dynon D-180, GTX327, SL40, Garmin 496 GPS, AP74 Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A2N, Nickel Coated Cylinders, 2 Slick mags (both impulse coupled), engine preheater, Hartzell Plane-Power alternator, Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BFP constant speed, blended airfoil

Last edited by Pilot135pd : 04-14-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:52 AM

Location: Zürich W, Switzerland, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, known Universe...

Pilot135pd my home field is a comfortable concrete of of about 2K ft length. But neighboring France and Italy have loads of excellent grass/gravel strips in the 900’ or < range which I’m looking forward flying into

DC

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
RV-6 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner
Old 04-14-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
You never know how much apart your two planes were before you changed yours.
You are incorrect. I measured from the same point in the planes, which was where the tailspring enters the WD-409 weldments on the bottom. But believe what you want. Identical
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 04-14-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dickens View Post
You are incorrect. I measured from the same point in the planes, which was where the tailspring enters the WD-409 weldments on the bottom. But believe what you want. Identical
It wasn't an insult, you didn't measure before you changed it and without knowing how you measured it was just a valid observation. Geesh.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
It wasn't an insult, you didn't measure before you changed it and without knowing how you measured it was just a valid observation. Geesh.
Whatever...I was only trying to offer some data to those thinking about that tailwheel. I am very confident in the measurement. Moving on...
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 04-14-2019, 08:20 PM

Nice and simple.

Eddy
http://www.hattonflyingcircus.com
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:21 AM

Talking FS: Tail Lynx

Just saw this thread and wanted to add that I happen to have the Tail Lynx new and unused that I'm selling. I just decided to go with the JDAir steering link route instead so I'm selling the Lynx. Here is the classified link: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=170674
RV-8 Wings Completed!
RV-8 Fuselage In Progress 95% Done
AeroSport IO-375 Hung
N800MF Reserved

Follow my build at www.rv8-hangar.com