Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-17-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n6233u View Post
There is a guy building a twin RV6 and it looked impressive.
And apparently its already flying. Powered by twin Corvair 100hp conversion engines.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMV...mngeA6qvKN_F7g
Wings 95% done (AOA)
Fuse 100% done
Finish 75% done (canopy, cowl & tail glass)
Avionics 0% done (IFR package ordered)
Dues paid 2019
Old 09-18-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarsey View Post
And apparently its already flying. Powered by twin Corvair 100hp conversion engines.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMV...mngeA6qvKN_F7g
It looks like he's got wood props on that thing. I shudder to think what that will be like when you lose one on take off and can't feather it.
Need a wing kit

Last edited by joe gremlin : 09-18-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe gremlin View Post
It looks like he's got wood props on that thing. I shudder to think what that will be like when you lose one on take off and can't feather it.
That's what I always said about the Champion Lancer too. Twin O-200s, fixed pitch props. No feathering. But the FAA certificated it, so I guess it's OK!!

Joe
Old 09-18-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorris View Post
That's what I always said about the Champion Lancer too. Twin O-200s, fixed pitch props. No feathering. But the FAA certificated it, so I guess it's OK!!

Wow. I never would've guessed you could pull off managing a light twin without feathering props. You learn something every day.
Need a wing kit
Old 09-18-2019, 04:21 PM

Decades ago, a buddy had built a Volmer Sportsman amphibian. It had an O-200 engine and he felt that it was underpowered. He came across a Lancer whose owner had already sold the engines, but had everything else. My friend bought the wings, complete with cowl and FWF stuff, less engine. He sent me a photo of the Volmer with both cowls on and the existing engine on, too.

Would have been a 3-engine amphib but he never got the engines, just not enough money.

Years later, when he could have paid for it all, he was having too much fun with other airplanes and the Volmer had been retired.

I wish I still had that photo.

Dave
Old 09-18-2019, 06:34 PM

Default RV twin

Quote:
I saw it without the cowls on.. it has a prop brake to allow you to stop a prop on the failed engine. Not as good as feathering, but he at least tried to build in something to decrease drag. I donít know if he tested the brake though..
Baby Lakes flying
Old 10-07-2019, 04:21 PM

Default RV-X

A true six seater. Maybe a fixed gear twin. Or a O-540 two seater. Like an -8 with complete dual controls and panel.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlittle View Post
I'd like to weigh in. I already made my choice (S-21), but the tech has evolved sufficiently so that something like an electric RV-12 would appeal to a whole new generation of buyers. This will increase the market size by appealling to a younger demographic.

By way of evidence, a local float-plane airline (Harbour Air) is converting several DH2 Beavers to electric propulsion for their island-hopping flights, starting next year. This is one of the largest float operators in the world, so this is a serious statement (and one I predicted a few years ago).

I don't do a lot of long x-country flights anymore, but I do many short flights to see family or buy $100 burgers.

The capital cost of an electric RV-12 may not be less, but operating and maintenance costs would be much lower. A lot less stuff in the hangar would be required as well. Oh, there may also be an environmental benefit.

Someone please dust off this post in 5 years and see how close to the mark I was.
An electric RV-12 won't have carb float problems, coolant lines every 5 years, carb synch problems, gearbox wear problems, lead in sump tank problems.

It would also, if battery packs can be changed out, be a great trainer plane if they can get 1.5 to 2 hrs of run time out of a charge. Electricity is much cheaper than Mogas or 100LL.

I own both an electric VW e-Golf and a Passat TDI SEL. 3 cents a mile vs 11 cents a mile, for diesel fuel alone. The operating economics of electric will lower your variable cost per hour of flying to something ridiculously inexpensive. Just need to lower the cost of the battery packs.

Maybe we end up with more sport pilot license card carrying members? Just a thought.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:19 AM

The iS solves carb float and sync issues. I believe teflon has solved the hose replacement issue as well.

The prospect of an electric airplane certainly is fascinating. And though I'm sure we're closer than we've ever been, I think is still a lot of work to do before we have batteries with the weight to power ratio necessary to make it practical in the real world.
Need a wing kit
Old 11-05-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
The iS solves carb float and sync issues. I believe teflon has solved the hose replacement issue as well.

The prospect of an electric airplane certainly is fascinating. And though I'm sure we're closer than we've ever been, I think is still a lot of work to do before we have batteries with the weight to power ratio necessary to make it practical in the real world.
You probably meant weight to energy ratio, but for short haul flights this is manageable.

Google "blackfly song nfb". Be amused, very amused.

And the black flies, the little black flies
Always the black fly, no matter where you go
I'll die with the black fly a-picking my bones
In north on-tar-i-o-i-o, in north on-tar-i-o

https://i0.wp.com/evtol.news/wp-cont...enerations.jpg
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 under construction

Last edited by vlittle : 11-06-2019 at 10:44 AM.