What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grand Rapids EIS 2000 Help, The Saga Continues.

I'm Still having Issues with my EIS. In my previous Post, the issue was the GR EIS was stuck in a perpetual Program mode. It took a day but with much help, some from this Forum and some from Grand Rapids Tech, I was able to get the component out of the program mode so i could read Engine parameters. I flew the Plane home without incident from an unexpected overnight.

The Problem now is, The RED Warning Light stays on Solid Red.

When I power up, everything is initially normal and the Red light flashes as it should. (No RPM, NO Oil Pressure etc.) Once I start the Engine, the RED Light comes on Solid and I cannot extinguish it. I have yet to find what Limitation or parameter is triggering the RED Warning Light. I spent 2 hours today trying to figure it out with no luck. It was too late to call GR Tech since they are on EAST Coast time and I am West.

I think the problem was self inflicted. I was touching and pressing a lot of buttons and clearing a lot of messages when the Component was stuck in the programming mode. I finally did clear that issue, but I think I created another one inadvertently.

I'm guessing that I changed or deleted a prior programmed Limitation, which I'm guessing is why the Red Warning light comes on after start up.

I went through the Program mode a few times and tried to input correct limitations. I am apparently missing one or a few.

I have an LYC 0-360-AIA Fixed Prop. Here is what is imputed.
MAX RPM 2700
MAX Oil Press 90 PSI
Min Oil Press 20 PSI
MAX Oil Temp 240
Min Oil Temp 70
MAX EGT 1600
MAX CHT 500
Aux 1 0
Aux 2 0
Aux 3 0
Aux 4 0

Could it might be in the AUX mode limitations. I have no idea what if any is in the AUXs are active in my system. I didn't build this. I called the previous Owner(s) and they have yet to be able to help.

Any tips or suggestions from you experts? Thanks in Advance.

You could try setting all EIS parameters to zero and see if the light goes out. The warning light should not illuminate with zeros entered. Then reset one parameter at a time to see which one causes the light to stay on. You may also check the wiring to the red warning light to see if it has somehow been shorted to ground, which may cause the light to always be on.

Don’t know the issue here, But once you figure it out, re-set max CHT to something reasonable (425?). No matter what Lycoming says, 500 F is ludicrous.
When the red light comes on, the screen should display the page with the data that is out of limits.

Last edited:
Back